ET/ME Career paths

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by puballday, Jul 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, just signed up on here but been reading these forums for quite a bit. I have passed all my selection and have my 4 days in scotland coming up shortly so will soon be starting as a rating in marine engineering submariner. I am clear of what the job entails and happy with my choice as it will give me some of the best skills the forces have to offer.
    What i would like to ask is (as title says) what are the normal career paths when you take on this job? I mean obviously at first you are trained and work on water/air, propulsion and the reactor and so on, but after a bit you gain ranks and qualifications ect... so when this happens, where do peoples careers take them after?

Thanks in advance!

2. Any where/every where/no where. Its up to you and drafty. Read DCIs or what ever they are called now,some good/exciting/ lucrative drafts do come up.

3. Thanks for your reply. One thing I may not have made entirely clear in my original post is that I am more interested in options within the forces itself. I know that if I come out the forces then the worlds at my feet (sort of speak) but I'm just wondering if as an engineer submariner if that's it or if opportunities will be available after a time (such as applying skills on operations in different parts of the world or other duties within the forces)?
    I hope this makes sense :D

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Loads, but try taking small steps before you leap. Getting in, passing basic and becoming a quailified submariner would be a start.

You don't play the PS3 or Xbox by any chance?

5. When you are in and passed your Part 3.

Read DCIs or what ever they are called now,some good/exciting/ lucrative drafts do come up.

Read DCIs or what ever they are called now,some good/exciting/ lucrative drafts do come up.

Oh and I may have missed it but if you read DCIs..............

6. Do you have something in particular in mind, Puballday?

7. this is thing you see, I just don't know, but then that would be the story of my life really... I hated shelf filling, checkouts does everyone's head in, warehouse picking is tedious and driving heavy goods is boring as hell and at 27 its time I did something exciting (early mid-life crisis?) But yeah I just want to know that once I'm in I won't get into the same old 'stuck in a rut' routine and actually do something exciting with my life.

I hope that last statement has you all either banging your heads or laughing in hysterics...

8. A career in boats carries no guarantee of wall to wall exitement and you may have to endure some degree of monotony as today's submariner spends fairly long periods at sea in 6 hours on,6 hour off routine which after a week or three will make truck driving seem like riding a roller coaster.For the hard worker there will be rewards and the chance to become more involved with more resposibility but that is for the future as you have plenty of hurdles to clear before you need to concern yourself with scaling the greasy pole.
    Good luck for the future.

9. maybe we could save the guy some bs and be straight with him. on a running boat as a ME junior rate hes going to be at sea, when not at sea hes going to be duty or working long hours fixing defects or be up the manoeuvring room trainers in devonport or faslane or on leave. if their fit for sea and have half a brain to be useful junior rates go to sea no ifs no buts were that short.

10. witsend

Just like everyone else. (Unless on a fleet boat and fifth watch)

Just like virtually everyone else.

The joys of the ME branch and doing your job, you have to fix things instead of scrubbing out.

Since hes just joining up, it'll be a number of years before the pleasure of simulator training.

Leave is for fannies!

Is that dabber code talk?

• Like Like x 1
  11. clearly witsend you missed the point as the op isnt in the navy yet, well nevermind it wasn't for you anyway. 1/2 pound of bitter and twisted for witsend at the rush.

by the way whats with the fleet boat and dabber comment?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  12. witsend

13. are you drunk or stupid? well both according to that last post.

a. im not a dabber im a WE

b. leave your attitude and arrogance at the door, your trying to advise a newbie here you bellend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  14. witsend

Why do you think I'm stupid Mr WE?

15. see above when your sober.

16. witsend

See what you ******* clown?

17. boo hoo hoo, hello im witless a frustrated stroker. i give attitude and arrogance on internet forums on saturday nights to newbies because i'm a V boat rating whose only jolly is coulport. i'm angry because my career choice was shit and i haven't the balls to admit it. in. YOUR. face. ;-)

18. Advice a newbie? And you're picking him up for being pissed?

I'd lay off the toilet duck.

19. witsend

And about time, everyone might have been thinking you were whispering special WE messages to me. And I was ignoring you, waiting for you to really make a fud of yourself.

Who's really sober fannybaws?

They are called 'bomber queens' you pissed up bellend. Go to bed!

20. witsend

Monty, stop stealing my back-up.