Estate Agent Serious F*CK UP!

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by trehorn, Feb 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so my estate agent has uploaded very clear photos of both mine and Mrs T's passport onto Rightmove!

The took the photos as proof of identity when they came to take photos of the house. They also took photos of a utility bill they used as proof of address and uploaded that just to make sure they did a proper job! Before you say anything I know that giving them passports was a bone thing to do, unfortunately I was at work and Mrs T didn't see a problem with it.

Anyhoo, they've since removed them after they were on for around 16hrs and their form of apology is to pay for new passports and a couple of bottles of wine.

We've reported the issue to the Passport office and the police just in case someone did take the details.

So my question is how do I make them sweat? I'm not one of those compensation junkies but I do want them to realise that this is a serious faux pas. What can I say to them to make them take this issue more seriously. I've told them i'll be speaking with the Information Commissioner but they just said because it was an accident that it wouldn't be an issue.

Rightmove are just as bad. It seems that because a third party posted it on their site that it is not their problem. The don't propose to review their procedures etc.

Come on guys, give me something to make them think about this and take serious preventative measures in future.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sounds reasonable to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Looks like they could be full fathom 5 in the mire if a breach of the data protection act can be found. Ask them who is their "Data Controller" and raise a complaint. Link below for going further. I'd certainly go for more than plonk and passports.

Taking Action - Our Enforcement Powers | ICO

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nothing a bit of magnolia on those wall wouldn't fix, might need to replace all those cracked mirrors while your at it. Seems like a project for BNM :)

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

They weren't cracked until he moved in next door

7. That's his passport photos matey, you're a bit harsh!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

8. Have to agree ... hit them with a breach of the Data Protection Act.
    "If you discover that data has been lost, or if you believe there has a breach of the data protection principles in the way data is handled, you must immediately inform the relevant information asset owner (IAO) who must follow the Agency policy set out in Agency guidance on reporting unclassified breaches.
    The first priority must always be to close or contain the breach and then to mitigate the risks to those individuals that may be affected by it. You should inform the agency data protection officer as soon as possible".

So get onto the Estate Agent and demand to speak to the "Information Asset Owner" ... and he/she has to report the breach by law to the relevent authority and they could be in for a substantial fine upto £500k. That'll make em sweat!

9. I should think that any mitigation should include a couple of years worth of free credit monitoring for you both. Its not expensive and should be your first port of call if they don't get weaving right away.

10. They are selling your house?
    Well, I think a huge reduction in their commission would be a good place to start......

BH