Esoteric minority

Discussion in 'History' started by Billy Q, Jan 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just 2% of NS men joined the RN 25% RAf 73% Army. We were blessed with those from good homes.Those with Knife and Fork skills and School Cert or 4 O levels including Maths and English joined as Upper Yardmen. The remainder as Writers, Coders, Met Obs or Phots. So long as they were kept apart from the hoi polloi ---Stokers ansd Common Seamen--that sort of thing.

Colin Shindler in his book National Service features just one.

Julian, who discovered , as an Acting, Tempy, S/Lt that he was a B....n H....r was drafted to submarines at Portland. Mind you he spent little time on them. the Depot Ship was much more to his liking.

He concludes his contribution to the book thus:-

The Grammar-school boys I found in the navy had a much bigger effect on me than the working-class Geordies, Scotsmen and Welshmen --because they were my intellectual equals.

Those were the days.
  2. Load of crap, my dad was a Seaman Gunner for his National Service!
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, 'special' fits the bill nicely ;)
  4. I joined in 74 and one of my mess mates had been given a choice by a Judge Navy or Borstal, he got it wrong and joined up, kind of like a press ganged NS
  5. Can you imagine if that happened these days ... choice of 5 yrs in the forces or 9 years inside ... wonder how many would choose 3 square meals and not a lot to do inside instead of having to work for a living!