Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by I_james_I, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey everyone, im new here. i signed up today and have my RT test on the 29th i am heading for a officer but i really dont want to do it the only thing that attracts me is the pay. i want to be a RMGD ALOT but im not sure what to do.. my moms gonna take it bad when i tell her i dont want to be officer no more XD do general duties have way more fun than officer because thats what its all about for me lol

sorry didn't make myself clear enough, its for the royal marines.

what do you lot think i should do.. stay officer or GD ???

cheers lads

2. I would suggest that you use this specific approach to grammar at your AIB and you won't have to worry about turning down a commission.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And do it for yourself, not your Mum! She should be proud of you, whatever job you do - even Submariner! :lol:

If you are intelligent and determined enough, you can still achieve your aim and become an Occifer from within your chosen branch/Service.
  4. Join the RAF
  5. lol harry, marines are the best :)
  6. sgtpepperband

Hmm, you asked for advice and Harry gave it, in good faith. Do not under estimate the committment you'd have to make in joining the RMs; over and above anything you are likely to experience in your life.

If you have any reservations about joining The Corps then that speaks volumes; perhaps you might seriously consider an alternative career?
  7. well, i have wanted to join the RM's since i was 8 years old i believe i am 110% commited to me upcoming career. however i am torn between officer or general duties. one of the reasons in joining the RM's is the tight close knit freindships, do officers still get this ??
  8. sgtpepperband

FFS, if you need to ask this question then it seems like you have no idea about the Forces. Do Occifers have a different attitude towards friendship and trust in their colleagues? If you don't know the answer then look elsewhere... and if you feel the responses so far a little hostile then perhaps you should have reconsidered your opening question.

And for the record, Royal Marines are not 'squaddies'! 8O
  9. hostile is all fun and games xD you know what i meant. i am new to this career i dont know much, or else i wouldnt be posting here...
  10. If your knowledge of grammar is as comprehensive as your knowledge of the Marines, perhaps you should become an English teacher? :biggrin:

On the topic of 'close knit friendships', have you considered working in your local gay bar? I'm sure you'll develop lots of intimate friendships there!!! Remember: if you don't push back it's not gay! ;) Just don't tell your MUM :lol:
  11. hhaha lmao thingy that made me crack up. very funny :D ofcourse that could be a option.. but i dont think i fit the criteria of enough 'gayness'
  12. Come on lads, give him a break - Uncle CHICO will be along soon to proffer his wise old words of advice I expect :thumright:
  13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What the fcuk is RMGDALOT? is this the same as the commonal garden bootneck but with a PR spin?
  14. If you wish to be an Ossifer and are a mummy`s boy, WELCOME you`ve got it made, if you were to be gay as well, that would be a positive Boon, They`re screaming (pardon the pun) out for people like you. :w00t:
  15. lol im not a mummys boy and im definately not gay. i want to be a marine because i want to be the best... but i thought officer would be good because i need a job when i retire from service
  16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If your already thinking of leaving then your not gonna pass out my friend.
  17. sgtpepperband

James: are you trying to say that the only people worthy of post-service careers are occifers? Hmm, you're not getting this are you?! :roll:
  18. Bloody hell, he's not even joined yet and he's planning his retirement.

Well done me laddo. Just have to crack your GCSE English and you'll be off to a fine start.
  19. Yes It`s hard outside, there are NO Marines in employment in civvy street, only RM Ossifers, I`m astounded, but life goes on eh?
  20. How do you know?
    But you said you wanted fun! Make your mind up!
    How forward-looking of you, unlike anything else you have posted! A slip of the shemagh?