Erebus and Terror

Discussion in 'History' started by Bunter, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank you for a wonderful gem which portends the installation of Deltic locomotive engines in Ton and Hunt class MCMVs for main propulsion and Foden bus engines to power the 'slow speed drive' active rudders in Ton class minehunters.
  2. Ah, Deltic engines! Did they have the same thirst for oil as they did when on the railway? Under your correction, I seem to remember that they came from nautical use in the first launches and MTBs? And were they not based on German aero design? All vague memories. Thank Heaven there are still a few Deltic railway locos in preservation so we can hear them singing live, not only on Peter Handford's recordings.
  3. Bunter: Well remembered. Here is an excerpt from the highly recommended Last of the Wooden Walls - An Illustrated History of the TON Class Minesweepers and Minehunters:

Incidentally, the Deltics in the Hunts are gradually being replaced with Caterpillar C32 Acert power plants.
  4. Saw an old Cat Tractor at a local summer fair last year .... damn great thing which had to be turned over with a donkey engine for several minutes before they engaged the starter to get it going. Not being of mechanical persuasion would they have had to do much the same back in the day with the Deltics as would have thought that electric ignition systems would have been a bit later????
  5. MG Maniac: The Deltics in the TONs were started with an explosive cartridge inserted into one of the five chambers of the starter breech. The gas generated by the cartridge turned the engine seven-eighths of a revolution (315 degrees) within a split second. This was usually enough to start the engine idling at 600 rpm although it was sometimes necessary to use two or more cartridge shots. Being a two-stroke engine with 18 cylinders, there was a firing stroke every 20 degrees and it only needed a few cylinders to fire for the engine to start. When required, a non-running Deltic could also be bump-started by 'trailing it in' if the ship was running on the other engine/propeller (e.g. for economical cruising).
  6. Thanks NG ... just trying to get my head around an 18 cylinder 2 stroke diesel ... I must admit I was under the impression that diesels were 4 stroke ... shows just how much I know ... zilch!
  7. It could take up to 2 1/2 hours to prepare a TON for sea, mainly to heat the machinery spaces to a sufficiently high temperature although this was never a problem in the Gulf. Even so, 200 turns by hand were required to rotate each Deltic through a single cycle before it could be started. This even applied to 'trailing in' which involved the clutch of the non-running engine being supplied with oil under pressure.
  8. If my sources are wrong, I'm sure a clanky will be along to put me right d'recktly. :smile:
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The first TON with Deltics was Highburton in which I served 1960-2. Thanks for brining all these Deltic bits back to notice. The delticv was several % more powerful than the more conventional Mirlees which the earlier TONs had. The odditiy of the Deltic was the three cylinders arange din a triangle with a double piston in each so that the power stroke for one end was the compression stroke for the other (if I have this right). There were three Deltics per ship, two to push her along and a third to power the loop.
  10. It amazes me as if anyone had said Deltic I would have immediately thought Railway Loco. Never occured to me that they stuck the things in war canoes and I would never have considered a diesel to be two stroke but thinking about it the power that configeration would produce would have been incredible. Having said that they stuck Olympus Gas engines in GMD's and the only other thing I know they were power plants for was Concorde or Vulcan bombers but I suspect they did stick it in other things.
  11. Just to show I am not a true railway geek, I will NOT say that that is not a Class 55 (Deltic). The locos had two Deltic engines and for a long time had the best power/weight ratio.
  12. They had 4 Olympus at the Hesham Nuclear power station, could be run up in seconds for emergency power.

13. Suck,
    Squeeze, Bang, Blow, Boggle, Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, Boggle...

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Yank Submarine diesels up to the 50s were two stroke diesels with 2 crankshafts, 1/3 of a Deltic? still used in their Coast Guard Cutters.

The Germans Jumo 205, similar design, was an aero diesel engine, must have had a bloody good power/weight ratio.
  15. Just for you: :)

Attached Files:

16. Neither am I ... I just read the strap line of the vid and its a class 37 ... but it looks similar dontcha fink?????