ERA to ERA

Discussion in 'History' started by uncleTom, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From what I remember it was the dream of ERA's to aspire to Engineer Rear Admiral. A few did.
    My old school produced many Engineer Captains and Commanders but, as far as I can tell just one RA. He died a year or so ago and I've forgotten his name.
    How many Tiffies became Rear Admirals? Someone will know and I would be most interested to discover

2. Now why would a tiffy want to sell his birthright to become an Admiral?

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I haven't actually got a clue but have decided to revert to your statistical technique of plucking numbers from the air :thumright:

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I thought 1 in 7 admirals used to be ERAs?

5. chieftiff

Is the last bit an anagram? :dwarf:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

ooh, that's rude, I'm going to tell a mod on you...

erm, hang on a minute....

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The numbers game might be clouded by the fact that the 'tiffie' origins of those art apps who went straight through to ordinary GL commissions (as mentioned by me elsewhere) via the AIB may not have been apparent or noted later.

Actually all four of my entry flunked out at Manadon (others failed their exams too, some via over-concetrating on rugby), but that must have been a statistical quirk (one, allegedly, for throwing something at the captain).

8. The divisions at the old Fisgard Squadron, HMS RALEIGH, were named after Artificers who reached Flag Rank and were still alive. The ones I remember from the 80s were Griffin, Warsop, Sherval, Spickernell and Thompson, but there were some more.

9. chieftiff

I was thinking of ears, what were yo.............. oh that's shocking!

10. The divisions at HMS Fisgard from 1967 were named after ex-apprentices who had achieved Flag Rank - not necessarily Engineers though I suspect.

They were Bennett, Cooke, Frew, and Lane.

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

You've known him for say, 60 years but in the year since he died, you've forgotton his name? Ever find out how many officers have applied for a veterans' badge?

Good answers for a thread started by uncleNorm so I'll save it the indignity of the gash barge but it isn't current affairs. Engineer Rear Admiral suggests norm is only interested in the past so Naval History seems appropriate.

12. Many thanks for that. I don't suppose you know if they reached that rank in engineering. I've discovered from my old school, Public central for Boys (now part of Plymouth University) that the name I was looking for was Rear Admiral Terence Ridley CB OBE RN. He died on Christmas day 2001 aged 86. He fulfilled his ERA to ERA dream.

13. I think they were actually.

14. Quote "Public central for Boys (now part of Plymouth University)"

Thank you for that information Uncle Tom. I work at the Uni and I have never heard of this section department, or other reference to PUBLIC CENTRAL for BOYS. Is it possibly one of the old rundown buildings the uni has either bought or knocked down to make room for the rebuilding program. I think we should investigate the ERA link it may help with the funding for the Marine Engineering Department.

Please Pm me with the PCB link. :thumright:

15. Ok Uncle Tom

The only quote we can find is the following culled from a web site about the war in Plymouth.

"Schools, of course, had and still do have them such as: Sutton High, Hyde Park, Montpelier, Salisbury Road, North Prospect, Keyham Barton, St. Boniface, Devonport Technical, pre-war Devonport High for Boys (now the Plymouth College of Further Education) and Public Central (now part of the University)"

But we are unable to identify the either buildings or site, no drawings post 1930!!!!

Are you really that old?

16. Thanks for that. Public Central School for Boys which was, up until the 1970's I think ,a selective school but changed its name to Public Secondary School when Plymouth went comprehensive. Angela Rippon attended the Girls bit before it changed.You mention Salisbury Road School It was there I passed the Scholarship (11 plus now)

17. .

Tom, Plymouth is still one of the few cities in England which still has the 11 Plus.

Please can you give me the Raod upon which the school was sited, this is a request so that I can try and help

18. "Public Central" I knew as "Coburg Street School": their uniform (and sports colours were green with yellow/gold edgings?? ( I went to St Bonifaces 1955-1961)

20. Seeing as there's no answer come forth yet, how about a process of ellimination...... I, for one, never became a rear admiral. Any more??
    geoff(ers) :nemo: