Entry to the regular corps (Not Supported)

Discussion in 'RMR' started by stonker, Jan 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been with the RMR since 2004 I'm an acting Cpl LC3 and SAA instructor. I deployed on the last Herrick with 45Cdo after doing this I wanted to join the corps full-time so I went through the process with the AFCO I was cleared for entry and then when it came to Requirements Manager RM my application was Not Supported and that I could re-apply in Oct 2010, I was told that this was due to the Corps reaching manning balance in the near future, But after speaking to a few people in the corps it seems hard to believe that they are full.

So my question is is there anyone that I could appeal to about my app??

I find it strange that the corps would not want a trainned marine with current operational experence, but then still advitse on TV and magizines for new recruits!!

Cheers.

2. From personal experience, there are some people at manning that will **** your application off if its the last thing they do, and amazingly they have titles like RMR Career manager!

Problems may arise because you are an RMR Cpl and as you haven't done a regular juniors, you can't join at that rank. However I would say all you need to do is speak to the right people within your unit and assuming they support your application, it will be pushed through.

All the best!

3. Cheers for the reply,

My USM has been very helpfull with my app but there is only so much he can do and it seems it has come to a dead end. The RMR branch sponser has even said there is a lot of drafts unfilled which just sickens me even more. And then to be told you cant join full-time but YOU WILL be going on H14 next year and every 2years after that, cheers pusser!

I will just try and push it again after leave.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not that it helps much, but I've recently come across regular GD guys trying to rejoin the Corps & being told they only join the following shortage category trades: Driver, Clerk, Sigs, Chef and, wait for it ...LC.

That said - more recently I've heard of GD guys only being permitted to enter as a Chef, so maybe the other trades are now full.

Edited to update current trade shortages.

5. That's the same as I was told from the branch sponser as well, seems crazy to me! I'm sure it would make more sense to fill those shortages with rejoins rather than normal manning and with the budget as tight as it is at the moment it definetly makes more financial sense to do it that way.

Found this on the mod website still shows a 5.1% shortage for the corps does not show where the shortages are though.

Mod.uk

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

According to the latest (Oct 09) RN Pocket Brief (Download at bottom of page), the Corps Other Ranks (All TQ'ss/SQs)has a trained strength requirement of 6350, a shortfall of 180, but 880 in training.

Conversely, so far as I'm aware there's a significant shortfall in RMR trained ranks - the irony of course being that the RMR is there to augment the trained strength of the regular RM. Certainly in the past I've heard anecdotally of RMR units being reluctant to "lose"trained ranks into regular service.

7. cheers for that mate, My USM was on about the offical figures to me before leave and like he said it looks on paper like they are full but it does not include medical downgrades and blokes who have come back injured and still work within the corps in the figures. And from that chart you can still see a high outflow and a drop in applications so it might come back on them saying there are full now.

Anyway mate thanks agian, would love to join the corps full-time but if it not to be, there are a couple of career paths I fancy in the navy so going to look it to that as well.

8. [quote

Conversely, so far as I'm aware there's a significant shortfall in RMR trained ranks - the irony of course being that the RMR is there to augment the trained strength of the regular RM. Certainly in the past I've heard anecdotally of RMR units being reluctant to "lose"trained ranks into regular service.[/quote]

Yes iv heard that mate I know they dont like to lose blokes who are SAA trained or have an SQ needed for training recruits, but I dont think they can stop you at unit level anyway!!?!

There is a massive recruitment drive for the RMR at the moment as every year the corps wants more blokes for herrick and there have been some buzzez round the unit that everyone in the RMR who can deploy will deploy on 14.

9. Yes iv heard that mate I know they dont like to lose blokes who are SAA trained or have an SQ needed for training recruits, but I dont think they can stop you at unit level anyway!!?!

There is a massive recruitment drive for the RMR at the moment as every year the corps wants more blokes for herrick and there have been some buzzez round the unit that everyone in the RMR who can deploy will deploy on 14.[/quote]

It sounds to me like the Corps wants its cake and eat it reference RMR ranks. Its the old "They are rubbers and shite" attitude that we have all been subjected to by the regs which in my opinion as an ex trained rank is very short sighted of them!!

Good luck on your quest Royal!!

10. Stonker or should I say Wilko, My Office ASAP. :evil:

11. Ha Ha! BUSTED

12. Ooooo get her!!! :D

13. I'd have a cuppa and perhaps a hobnob before you go mate, for obvious reasons.

14. Eh??

15. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Clearly it's for a chat negative tea and biscuits!

16. Bit slow on the uptake oppo. Been a long day!!! :roll:

17. Isn't persec an issue here..?

For what it's worth my 2p's worth - I am out of the loop these days. Got to disagree with you XRD, I don't think the 'all rubbers are shite' factor is the issue here, that was accepted as not being the case following TELIC.

All the armed forces have to manage outflow. Given the current operational tempo outflow will be higher for the foreseeable. The RMR is a small organisation which is asked to punch above it's weight. The post tour impact of large scale deployment will present a significant challenge and inevitably the those who have to manage the RMR need to balance fulfilling the role (augmenting the RM to support op capability) and maintaining the organisation; some of those involved in this thread will be only too aware of the latter from one of the units experiences post TELIC.

Stonker you will note from the above that getting lads with op experience and good service record into the Corps full time from the RMR does not feature; it doesn't sit well with the way either organisation in terms of how they set themselves up to generate man power and meet thier respective aims. Basically RMR to RM is not a channel which produces the volume and flow of men required when measured against Lympstone and rejoins. Add to this the complications with regard to rank from Cpl upwards and the RMR (not your Unit) ensures it is seen to meet the Corps requirement for HERRICK 14 and I'm not surprised by the lack of progress you're experiencing. The short term perspective that constrains decisions will prevail until either it breaks or the organisation changes but long term sustainability is an issue.

It's not what you want to hear but life in a green one and all that. Keep plugging away because when it suits both organisations the door will open, provided you don't piss off anybody with a say in the decision. My advice get on HERRICK 14 if your civi work circumstances allow. They will argue, rightly, joining full time would mean deploying on a regular basis.

... and good luck with getting your heels together, I'm sure the nice man behind the desk will put you right.

Edited x 3 because I can spell but can't type..

18. I'm man enough to admit i'm wrong Lab especially to an old oppo who put more time in than myself. However as your aware it was the bain of every RMR nods life when working with regs who funnily enough didnt comprehend that we were only as good as the PSI's that trained us!!

Regards

19. Fortunately we had decent PSIs ...

... but why was I always shite!?

As an aside I can think of at least one example of somebody in my troop in training who deployed on Op HAVEN stayed in and is now a RM SNCO in a soldiering branch.

20. I only remember one lad who deployed on Op Haven initials J.D if I remember rightly!!!