Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entry requirements for Royal Navy Officer

I tell you what you do whatever you wish.

I've only been in the RN for 32 years and a careers advisor for 8 of them. Perhaps I know nothing???

SM

:)

slim said:
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp

Thanks for the backup, however it is not needed, if he wishes to bandy swords then I am certain that my Ultra Sharp Lower Deck Cutlass is more than a match for his Wardroom Sword :p

:thumbleft:

(....mine just comes out for christening cakes etc these days. Next outing for Son-in-laws forthcoming 40th. Also handy for spearing stray empty tinnies :wink: )

thereverend

War Hero
the_bear_thfc said:
Exactly lonestar! I tried to suggest that politley to the member of staff (I think she is a helper, not sure if she is a fully qualified AFCO, hence why i wanted to speak to the AFCO I have already met or Lt Fuller) . Also knowing that this 13month rule, is 100% the case for other professions. However alternativley in the back of my mind, arguing / going behind the back of any staff down my careers office isnt going to help my application.

Is that when they get promoted and turned into a building?

the_bear_thfc said:
i wanted to speak to the AFCO I have already met

So you are aware of what it's like speaking to a brick wall then? Now you know how others feel when speaking to you.

There are a lot of Mickey Mouse degree's, yes.
There are also thousands of intelligent young people who have now had the opportunity to achieve an education and actually make something for themselves. This goverment does have a lot to answer for, so does every other government. Deal with it.

There are undoubtedly problems with the educational system, and I'll concede to the point that many are being groomed to pass exams, rather than actually taught the subject at hand. That, however, does not apply to everyone, many student's work bloody hard for the qualifications they achieve, I did, and to undermine all that with off-the-cuff remarks about falling educational standards is frankly ignorant, arrogant, and simply short sighted.

I've met plenty of people with older qualifications who are phenomenally stupid, and if you think this applies to the current generation of degree holders then you ought to look around. Historians like David Starsky, for example, dribble more shite than an incontinent chimp, and still hold high academic status.

Qualifications require knowledge of that particular subject; you can still be extraordinarily gifted in one respect, and terribly stupid at everything else.

Oh, and I don't expect anything owed to me. I went to university for the academic merit, not for career opportunities. If I'd expected jobs on a silver platter I'd have spent the last three years working my arse off and moving up the corporate ladder.

-edit- And sorry for going off topic, that was in response to a few comments made in this thread. And yeah, I realise I'm a newbie. I'll shut up now.

the_bear_thfc

Midshipman
I dont understand how its like talking to a brick wall with me? I've tried to listen and take onboard everything that people have said?!

lonestar

War Hero
the_bear_thfc said:
I dont understand how its like talking to a brick wall with me? I've tried to listen and take onboard everything that people have said?!

Well actually you have told us we are wrong already in the thread, after your conversation with "a helper". Now the likes of me may well be wrong because we are just trying to help and may only have partial information, but SuperMario does this every day, it is his job! Hence why his reaction is 'go f*ck yourself, tried to help, not gonna waste my time'.

You want to be an Officer in the Royal Navy; you have to have a bit of determination and initiative about you, so why don't you get on the phone to either the AFCO or the office that deals with Officer enquiries in your area and try again. If they fob you off then tell them find a way round it, or through it.

There are waivers to be had, but we can't hold your hand you have to fight your own corner.

So , the_bear_thfc,

After your various phone calls, anonymous or otherwise, a variety of advice on here (some unofficial, but including that from an experienced AFCO).

Where do you go on from here?

(I know what I would do in in your predicament, and so do many others at RR, but spoon-feeding for you should end forthwith.)

An ambitious and resourceful potential Naval Officer you should now get off your PC keyboard, carefully assess your 'Problem', plan a series of options and weigh their viabilities then:

SEE TO IT BY TRYING TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM YOURSELF, FGS!!

Your Life, your future.

the_bear_thfc

Midshipman
Ok, I get the message, i'm going to sort it and take the bull by the horns! Thanks for all you're help! I didnt mean to offend super mario, and I certainly didnt mean to tell him he was wrong. I was only repeating what was said to me.

Again thanks for all your help
Regards and best wishes! :)

the_bear_thfc said:
Ok, I get the message, i'm going to sort it and take the bull by the horns! Thanks for all you're help! I didnt mean to offend super mario, and I certainly didnt mean to tell him he was wrong. I was only repeating what was said to me.

Good move, at last.

Just remember, please, to return and tell us when you have sorted it all out.

Meanwhile, chin up :wink:

Bob

slim

War Hero
the_bear_thfc said:

What wasn't taught during your degree was the old adage "Engage Brain Before Mouth" Or in your case "Engage Brain before Typing" :p

soleil

War Hero
the_bear_thfc said:

the_bear_thfc

The bit about talking to a brick wall was a joke, teasing you because you said this:

"i wanted to speak to the AFCO I have already met".

An AFCO is actually a building, generally made of bricks, I suppose, so it does conjure up visions of you leaning against a wall, chatting away to some bricks, telling them of your interest in joining the Royal Navy etc.

An AFCO is an Armed Forces Careers Office.

An ACLO is a very different kettle of fish and has a much better line in advice and conversation than a row of bricks; Area Careers Liaison Officers are the personnel in the AFCOs who deal with Officer applications; Lt. Fuller is one.

scouse

War Hero
:oops: :oops: I dont know LT FULLER , but i do feel sorry for him :oops: As he will soon be talking to someone who is FULL OF S**T :lol: :lol: and maybe he would better off, talking to a brick wall :lol: :lol:

the_bear_thfc

Midshipman
hi guys, after failing to get hold of anyone on the number sm gave me. I decided to email Lt Jones who's email was on a document the Chatham office had given me.

From here I explained my situation and asked for his advice in regards to retaking the gcse in correspondance to the 13month rule and also about the waiver.

After a few emails he has said my only option is to get an academic waiver. He said that he will seek a second opinion from the AIB about an academic waiver which im extremely grateful for although its 'fairly unlikely' to get the academic waiver.

Though i'd keep people updated and also take the chance to say thanks for the help and posts on here whether the second opinion from the AIB is a good or bad one.

Cheers!

the_bear_thfc

Midshipman
Well the thing is lonestar, like I said I never mean to offend anyone. However what is one to do when the qualified career officers are telling me to re sit the gcse maths because a waiver does not exist, neither does the 13 month resit rule. Oh and not to read / listen 'to rubbish on the internet' (their words not mine).

But thankfully I listend to everyones advice on here, contacted Leuitenant Jones and hopefully fingers crossed get everything sorted out (or at least some clarity).

the_bear_thfc

Midshipman
Hey guys, just thought I'd post the responce from the AIB in relation to my waiver as im sure it will be helpful to the career advisers on here.

Darren,

We do not give waivers for Maths and English GCSEs unless there is evidence of a high standard of study at a later date i.e. a law degree would indicate a high standard of English language and an engineering degree a high standard of maths. We are, however, flexible on the 13 month rule. If this candidate is motivated enough to gain the Maths GCSE we would proceed with his application in the meantime providing he supplied evidence that he has been entered for the examination. So if he enrols on a course in September we would consider him for the September 2011 entry pending the exam results, providing he is still within the age limits.

Regards,

MOD EDIT: DETAILS REMOVED
Officer Entry Section
Admiralty Interview Board
HMS Sultan

MOD EDIT: DETAILS REMOVED

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
the_bear_thfc said:
Hey guys, just thought I'd post the responce from the AIB in relation to my waiver as im sure it will be helpful to the career advisers on here.

The Careers Advisers on here are already acquainted with the AIB, the staff & regularly exchange information as we are part of the same organisation.

Your thoughtfulness is however much appreciated, thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mick1199 Entry requirements and accepted qualifications Joining the Royal Navy 6
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
K PJFT - Entry Requirements Submariners 10
A Entry Requirements for Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Entry Requirements....weight! Health & Fitness 15
D RNR Medical entry requirements Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
C what are the entry requirements for being a pilot The Fleet Air Arm 29
R Pre-entry Medical Manchester location? Cancer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Earlier entry date for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
O Direct Entry PO Marine Engineer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Raleigh Entry date Joining the Royal Navy 5
T Raleigh Entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Deferring Entry RFA 3
O Re-Entry Joining the Royal Navy 13
R Lateral entry PO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
A RNR Medic? General entry Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
H 17 Sqn joint RAF/RN , direct entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Mine Clearance Diver Entry Joining the Royal Navy 3
O Direct entry The Gash Barge 42
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
E Defer entry after offer receive Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N CIS Entry Level Engineers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Physical Training Instructor Direct Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Direct entry Aircrewman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Open letter: GCSE tier entry guidance MoD News 0
F Can't get bank account due to marker. Is this a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS Global Britain to attract more top scientists with fast tracked entry MoD News 0
W FAA Aircrewman entry age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Inhalers a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pilots and Observers - Age Limit on entry Increased to 34 The Fleet Air Arm 15
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Accelerated Scheme Vs Standard Entry Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Possible to defer confirmed entry? Joining the Royal Navy 0
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
crash_evans Direct Entry Physical Training Instructors Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
K Direct Entry Marine Engineering Officer Joining the Royal Navy 22
H Final Entry Briefing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS News story: HMRC outlines phased approach for Entry Summary Declarations MoD News 0
Ghost29 How long is wait after security clearance granted before i get a entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Direct entry junglie aircrewman advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS News story: Professional Entry Scheme: Bar Council app to be tested at five new courts MoD News 0
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Sideways entry from AET to Aircrewman The Fleet Air Arm 14
C Raleigh Re-entry course and beyond... Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Aircraft handler entry waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5