Entry requirements and accepted qualifications

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Over the past few months I’ve been looking into potentially joining the Royal Navy, for various reasons, and I’m particularly interested in the submarine service. I understand that a lot of basic entry levels roles don’t really require qualifications, or just a few half-decent GCSE grades. I’m 20, so obviously sat my exams a while ago and did attend sixth form to study for A levels and a BTEC. My GCSEs are pretty good but long story short I didn’t do particularly well at A level but I do have a minimum of 72 UCAS points I believe, with a distinction in BTEC Engineering and an E in Geography (a terrible grade I know but somehow is still classed as a pass). Even without this the BTEC gives me 56 points on its own. I believe the Royal Navy site states you need around 72 UCAS points for some officer roles and slightly less for other roles such as the UGAS scheme which I’m really interested in and requires around 48 points. I feel that my grades may let me down when it comes to applying as it seems to state that these UCAS points need to come from A*-D grades in A/AS levels as opposed to BTECs.

I’ve worked as a supervisor in retail for the past few years so I have some decent leadership experience for my age which I guess I could play off in interviews or when applying and since my BTEC was in engineering I feel like it could stand me in good stead. Would anyone be able to shed any light on whether these qualifications would be enough to secure entry, or whether I would probably fall short? I assume that they’re probably looking for applicants who far exceed the minimum requirements and/or are more academically qualified than myself. Either way I figure even if I did fall short I can still apply for an entry level role instead. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Contact your local AFCO, they are there to give you answers to all of your questions and advice as to what direction to take. Good luck.

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Cheers. I kind of guessed as much that I should contact a recruiter. I’m sort of in the preliminary stages of looking into a career in the navy at the moment and oddly where I lived used to have a careers officer but I think it was moved and now the nearest is like a 40min drive. I’ve got other job offers on the table at the moment but to be quite honest I want to do something completely different and the navy appeals to me in that sense. I don’t know if this is the wrong kind of mindset to have but it’s a sort of fail safe option for me, like if I don’t enjoy where I am in a year or so than I can go in a totally different direction.

Waspie

War Hero
Cheers. I kind of guessed as much that I should contact a recruiter. I’m sort of in the preliminary stages of looking into a career in the navy at the moment and oddly where I lived used to have a careers officer but I think it was moved and now the nearest is like a 40min drive. I’ve got other job offers on the table at the moment but to be quite honest I want to do something completely different and the navy appeals to me in that sense. I don’t know if this is the wrong kind of mindset to have but it’s a sort of fail safe option for me, like if I don’t enjoy where I am in a year or so than I can go in a totally different direction.
This is a great site for personal experiences, mickey taking and general cynicism. However, for serious career advice - as @janner says, AFCO should be your first port of call.
Some members can point you in the right direction for further help but for up to date career advice - AFCO.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you give the AFCO a ring you can get a lot of advice over the phone, it's not committing you to anything so it must be worth the price of the call, you can probably also get a meeting set up (time and date etc) so that if you did decide to call into the office you wouldn't be wasting your trip. @soleil may be along in a while, don't give her your inside leg measurement but apart from that she has a lot of references to hand. You can also look at the search facility at the top of the page which has a wealth of information on it.

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Mick

Would this one be a good fit for you?

I was looking into this or something similar. The UGAS scheme on the same site looks pretty good too.