Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entry requirements and accepted qualifications

mick1199

Over the past few months I’ve been looking into potentially joining the Royal Navy, for various reasons, and I’m particularly interested in the submarine service. I understand that a lot of basic entry levels roles don’t really require qualifications, or just a few half-decent GCSE grades. I’m 20, so obviously sat my exams a while ago and did attend sixth form to study for A levels and a BTEC. My GCSEs are pretty good but long story short I didn’t do particularly well at A level but I do have a minimum of 72 UCAS points I believe, with a distinction in BTEC Engineering and an E in Geography (a terrible grade I know but somehow is still classed as a pass). Even without this the BTEC gives me 56 points on its own. I believe the Royal Navy site states you need around 72 UCAS points for some officer roles and slightly less for other roles such as the UGAS scheme which I’m really interested in and requires around 48 points. I feel that my grades may let me down when it comes to applying as it seems to state that these UCAS points need to come from A*-D grades in A/AS levels as opposed to BTECs.

I’ve worked as a supervisor in retail for the past few years so I have some decent leadership experience for my age which I guess I could play off in interviews or when applying and since my BTEC was in engineering I feel like it could stand me in good stead. Would anyone be able to shed any light on whether these qualifications would be enough to secure entry, or whether I would probably fall short? I assume that they’re probably looking for applicants who far exceed the minimum requirements and/or are more academically qualified than myself. Either way I figure even if I did fall short I can still apply for an entry level role instead. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Contact your local AFCO, they are there to give you answers to all of your questions and advice as to what direction to take. Good luck.

mick1199

Cheers. I kind of guessed as much that I should contact a recruiter. I’m sort of in the preliminary stages of looking into a career in the navy at the moment and oddly where I lived used to have a careers officer but I think it was moved and now the nearest is like a 40min drive. I’ve got other job offers on the table at the moment but to be quite honest I want to do something completely different and the navy appeals to me in that sense. I don’t know if this is the wrong kind of mindset to have but it’s a sort of fail safe option for me, like if I don’t enjoy where I am in a year or so than I can go in a totally different direction.

Waspie

War Hero
Cheers. I kind of guessed as much that I should contact a recruiter. I’m sort of in the preliminary stages of looking into a career in the navy at the moment and oddly where I lived used to have a careers officer but I think it was moved and now the nearest is like a 40min drive. I’ve got other job offers on the table at the moment but to be quite honest I want to do something completely different and the navy appeals to me in that sense. I don’t know if this is the wrong kind of mindset to have but it’s a sort of fail safe option for me, like if I don’t enjoy where I am in a year or so than I can go in a totally different direction.
This is a great site for personal experiences, mickey taking and general cynicism. However, for serious career advice - as @janner says, AFCO should be your first port of call.
Some members can point you in the right direction for further help but for up to date career advice - AFCO.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you give the AFCO a ring you can get a lot of advice over the phone, it's not committing you to anything so it must be worth the price of the call, you can probably also get a meeting set up (time and date etc) so that if you did decide to call into the office you wouldn't be wasting your trip. @soleil may be along in a while, don't give her your inside leg measurement but apart from that she has a lot of references to hand. You can also look at the search facility at the top of the page which has a wealth of information on it.

mick1199

Mick

Would this one be a good fit for you?

I was looking into this or something similar. The UGAS scheme on the same site looks pretty good too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
K PJFT - Entry Requirements Submariners 10
A Entry Requirements for Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Entry Requirements....weight! Health & Fitness 15
T Entry requirements for Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
D RNR Medical entry requirements Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
C what are the entry requirements for being a pilot The Fleet Air Arm 29
T Earlier entry date for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
O Direct Entry PO Marine Engineer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Raleigh Entry date Joining the Royal Navy 5
T Raleigh Entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Deferring Entry RFA 3
O Re-Entry Joining the Royal Navy 13
R Lateral entry PO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
A RNR Medic? General entry Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
H 17 Sqn joint RAF/RN , direct entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Mine Clearance Diver Entry Joining the Royal Navy 3
O Direct entry The Gash Barge 42
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
E Defer entry after offer receive Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N CIS Entry Level Engineers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Physical Training Instructor Direct Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Direct entry Aircrewman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Open letter: GCSE tier entry guidance MoD News 0
F Can't get bank account due to marker. Is this a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS Global Britain to attract more top scientists with fast tracked entry MoD News 0
W FAA Aircrewman entry age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Inhalers a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pilots and Observers - Age Limit on entry Increased to 34 The Fleet Air Arm 15
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Accelerated Scheme Vs Standard Entry Joining the Royal Navy 1
M Possible to defer confirmed entry? Joining the Royal Navy 0
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
crash_evans Direct Entry Physical Training Instructors Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
K Direct Entry Marine Engineering Officer Joining the Royal Navy 22
H Final Entry Briefing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS News story: HMRC outlines phased approach for Entry Summary Declarations MoD News 0
Ghost29 How long is wait after security clearance granted before i get a entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Direct entry junglie aircrewman advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS News story: Professional Entry Scheme: Bar Council app to be tested at five new courts MoD News 0
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Sideways entry from AET to Aircrewman The Fleet Air Arm 14
C Raleigh Re-entry course and beyond... Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Aircraft handler entry waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Getting an entry date moved? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9