Entry Dates for CT

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Feagal, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I was wondering, is it true that there are just 2 dates each year that CTs can start basic training on, May or October?

If so, I might possibly be starting in October as I sat my test on January last year. Ooooh, exciting.

Many thanks for any replies.
  2. Correct. So you could be looking at October this year. Lucky you.
  3. i should have been on that may date but .....ivee just had a phone call to tell me today i dont qualify for CT as i only scored 87 in my RT Test and the u need 90 but they told me i look academically suitable for the job with my a levels and the languages i speak etc. been told to go the CIS route and work hard if im excelling there is a chance to go in the CT Branch because the first 6 months training for CT is CIS Training is this true i wanna join up so dont want to delay in saying yeah ill join as a CIS
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you join as a CIS instead of directly as a CT, there is categorically no guarantee you will be selected and accepted to transfer to CT. It's remotely possible, but in order to give realistic aspirations - not very likely.
  5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Transfer from CIS (or any branch) is possible via Sidewise Branch Transfer (check the DIN's if you are in already) however bear in mind it is for exceptionally good candidates who will enter the CT branch with no training risk and add to the branch.

However that is all dependant on you passing Phase 1, then Phase 2, getting suitable reports that show potential, pass a selection board (plus aptitude tests) and then in competition with many others you may get selected. Then you would need manning clearance to leave your branch and go CT. Not easy.

However the CIS branch is a good option (and I don't just say that because I am a PWO(CIS)).
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Double post due to electrons getting over excited.
  7. i know the possiblity is rare and to be honest i did consider the CIS branch as a good option is just i speak a few languages and wanted to carry on learning languages and using them and CT seemed the better option i just wanna know how long ive got to wait now because i think im at the bottom of the pile starting today (so im a little pissed off about that)
  8. Is English one of the languages you wish to carry on learning ? 8O

Sorry just could not resist :D
  9. yeah, gotta love the quickwits on here im in a rush want a few answers then off to the gym n then work sorry if its not written in perfect english after all im not publishing a book, its a forum
  10. ...on which English is the language used, not the gibberish you are coming out with.
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Which do you speak? You can still use your languages and there are schemes to allow you to learn new ones, get paid to do so and use them on operations.

Something you would have to investigate once inside mind due to the nature of the jobs etc.
  12. english (but thats debatable based on previous posts)
    and bit of italian
  13. Hmmm... So I should be looking at entry in either October or May? I didn't know that. Fingers crossed for October. Best get practicing my ironing skills!
  14. i work in the CT world, and trust me they are not very smart.....also none of them speak any other languages, they just break things which i have to fix!!!!!!
  15. Lurchio,
    If, as you say, you work in the CT world then you are obviously oblivious to what we do...of course there are CTs (a sizeable number actually) who speak other languages because the nature of our work requires that. As for fixing stuff we break....I assume you're a maintainer....and things go tits up from time to time and need maintaining; therefore, all you're doing is your job.
    On a final note, pedantic (that means childish) I appreciate, note my use of the capital letter when saying typing I. It really is pretty basic.
    now bore off you trolling cnut!
  16. Hard life.