Entry as a Graduate

Briefly

Briefly, and in a very general sense as I was WE and cannot speak for the specifics of ME or AE, the engineering officer concerned will consult with system senior rate technician, (artificer when I was in).
He will ask the senior rate to outline the problem, the solution and time to resolve.
He will then brief the command on the situation and help assess the effect on the ship's operational capability.
He may well have multiple other situatuations to deal with at the same time.
What he won't be able to do is get stuck in to the engineering problem/solution.
That's what the system technicians are for.

Like I said though, that's very general and each situation will vary, requiring a slightly different approach.

As an Engineer Officer: true dit. The biggest requirement for engineering knowledge is drafting the OPDEF line 5!

I have no doubt Naval Engineering Officers across the land will be shouting at their monitors & throwing PC's out of their shore-based office windows at the very audacity of the suggestion that their engineering degree is not required to manage "hands-on" engineers. And doubtless calculating the theoretical damage to the equipment after reaching terminal velocity. :)

The first thing a baby Engineering Officer gets upon joining a warship, having donned his pristine white overalls, is a rap across his knuckles if he so much as even reaches an outstretched hand toward a toolbox.

The younger UY Officers will gain an Engineering Degree after selection, but SUYs don't always need one, it's at the discretion of the Career Manager - they've been doing the engineering aspect of the job a good number of years already to go through the SUY route.

Opening gambit from Cdr WE at Collingwood to the SUYs on my course - you are not here as gold-stripe Tifs. He was a SUY.

bon mot

Midshipman
Perhaps a better question is whether (and how) we should allow direct (or accelerated) entry at 1* level and above for appropriately qualified/ experienced senior managers? Perhaps the RN could use the MOD CS Fast Track scheme as a model to emulate?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Perhaps a better question is whether (and how) we should allow direct (or accelerated) entry at 1* level and above for appropriately qualified/ experienced senior managers?
Brave shout! ;)

I can almost imagine I can hear the frenzied keyboard activity as a whole host of Naval Graduates register a witty nautical username on Rum Ration so they can have a wail about it being ridiculous to suggest someone without any Naval experience should be afforded accelerated advancement in the senior management team, ahead of them. :D

Rachelthree

War Hero
'NelsonTar' just messaged me saying he was outraged! If someone had a lot of managerial experience in the 'real world' were they probably less likely to join under the old scheme? Valuable skills but narked at the pay. And having a grad with little experience waltz in above.

bon mot

Midshipman
Well, when all is said and done defence is just another type of business (except our 'dividend' to our shareholders is a massive national insurance policy against foreign aggression). I accept that taking people in from industry direct into 1* type roles would be difficult (though not impossible in all areas), but what about developing some kind of 'fast track general naval staff'? You go off to ICSC(M) and thereafter the best and brightest are selected for rapid onwards promotion and onwards attendance at ACSC or a specially designed course/ programme for the purpose?

Brave shout! ;)

I can almost imagine I can hear the frenzied keyboard activity as a whole host of Naval Graduates register a witty nautical username on Rum Ration so they can have a wail about it being ridiculous to suggest someone without any Naval experience should be afforded accelerated advancement in the senior management team, ahead of them. :D

Not this call sign....

Peak

Badgeman
Wouldn't bother me, one company I know of runs a variety of grad schemes where the minimum entry is a BSc of BA and they also run a fast track leadership program where the min entry is a MA, MBa or MSci plus a minimum of two years previous employment.

Horses for courses.

bon mot

Midshipman
I think the truth of it is that in all professions there comes that moment when you find that one (or many) of your peers are overtaking you in terms of career progression. Surely the best way to serve the organisation is to acknowledge that this is so and formalise how you identify talent and then accelerate it to an appropriately high level within the orgainsation. The warfare branch already do this (in a sense) by giving command to those it deems have the 'right stuff'. Other branches use early charge selection in a similar way. But even this only gets people so far - what I am suggesting is Lt to 1* on a formal programme within 5 - 8 years.