Entered the Plymouth Half Marathon

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by jacko90, Apr 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never ran a race before and have just been asked to enter the Plymouth Half raising money for RNRMC. So as I'm easily talked into doing things, I've booked a place. Got just over a month to train, but will be running it in boots which I've also never done before. Any tips or advice please?

2. Yup. Don't do it in issue boots. Try and get hold of something more lightweight like the Lowa recon, Altberg sneeker etc. Even some lightweight magnums are preferable to issue tendon wreckers.

If you can't get hold of the above, do it in trainers. In years to come your body will thank you for it.

3. If you are already fit enough, try running just over the race distance for the first two weeks then for the final two weeks run about 2/3 the distance, works for me. Also don't have a big bowl of porridge on race day for breakfast , when I tried it it gave me a proper bout of runners gut.

4. Using Altberg Sneekers, but haven't ran in them yet. Been also trying to learn that pose technique, just seem to be destroying my calves and shins though... Normal? Pickled onions for the cramps?

5. Problem with the pose technique is it doesn't work for everyone. Its not some sort of guaranteed best running style, just run how you normally do if it works.

6. POSE will not work in boots. It only works with barefoot or thin soled shoes. For the first few weeks it tested my calves and shins but that was them just getting used to it.

7. Finished in 1 hour 49, not bad for doing the odd run here and there before.