Enlighten a soon to be Sailor with your wildest stories from runs ashore!

ProudToServe

Midshipman
I am hoping to begin my training next year (completing my studies). I have done lots of research but one thing you never hear in the booklets.....shore leave stories!. Anyone who would like to share their most memorable times, please tell me below

Many Thanks ,

ProudToServe

Dusty70

War Hero
You probably wouldn't get away with the things we used to do - then there were naval towns with virtually dedicated naval pubs, most of which have gone now.

But you have jogged my memory - for you Sundodgers of the bomber persuation - was the rumour of a bar in Fasgrad with metal seats and tables bolted to the floor where they let you lot get smashed without killing each other to let steam off before they let you go home to your families ????

Union Jack

Midshipman

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Nah , too young.......but could be a SCC Joss who knows your much younger brother. :)
Haha, maybe.
I'm sure there was a thread with a few good dits on here a while ago.
Maybe even 10 years or so. Monty, jonno jonno, stirling and 2 deck dash was in that thread. Worth a read. Or just lil's greatest threads is still comical.

Paxman_Valenta

Badgeman
I don't really have anything ourtageous to tell (nothing that I would ever share on the internet anyway) and plus it's nothing compared to the old and bolds who got away with murder in the past!

I've slept in a church once after missing the last boat back to the ship and my mate woke the entire village up by blasting out some keys on the organ
I've also cooked a steak for a german girl and her mum (her mum deffo fancied me more than the girl did!)
I have also washed someones sky+ remote (back when sky+ was new, by hiding it in the dishwasher
I've also stolen several pairs of underpants, road signs, a perry buoy from the Helge Inshtad (the norwegian ship that crashed recently)
I've been mugged in three different countries in rather difficult to explain circumstances...

I also had a threesome in the tiller flat of a ship where the headroom is about 4ft and you have to seriously be creative about space (whilst on a run ashore, we went back out again afterwards)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You probably wouldn't get away with the things we used to do - then there were naval towns with virtually dedicated naval pubs, most of which have gone now.

But you have jogged my memory - for you Sundodgers of the bomber persuation - was the rumour of a bar in Fasgrad with metal seats and tables bolted to the floor where they let you lot get smashed without killing each other to let steam off before they let you go home to your families ????
i was never a bomber queen but have used that bar, it was called the Hooley Bar. Booze was served through a hatch in the bulkhead so if it kicked off the bar staff were safe.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
i was never a bomber queen but have used that bar, it was called the Hooley Bar. Booze was served through a hatch in the bulkhead so if it kicked off the bar staff were safe.
There was an upright piano in the corner of said Hooley Bar. I vaguely recall playing it once while most of the piano keys were on fire. The place wasn't the Bomber Queens exclusive domain, but it was the only bar in Neptune that used virtually unbreakable plastic drinking glasses.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There was an upright piano in the corner of said Hooley Bar. I vaguely recall playing it once while most of the piano keys were on fire. The place wasn't the Bomber Queens exclusive domain, but it was the only bar in Neptune that used virtually unbreakable plastic drinking glasses.
In the Can Bar upstairs you didn't even get a plastic glass, it was just the cans IIRC, used to go in there for a DTS before going back down the boat.

How did we manage to get to this age considering what was considered normal routine "back in the day" :oops:

Paxman_Valenta

Badgeman
Reading that thread (again) has reminded me how good it can be being on a ship sometimes. Some of the shit you would just never, ever get away with anywhere else.

Falling asleep on watch is a particular fave, the amount of times I walked on the bridge during the middle (on MEOOW2 rounds obvs) to chat to the wren QM to find the OOW either tabbing on the signal deck, wanking in the bridge heads or asleep behind the chart table curtain...

Or the time we used to play Conning Quizes and managed to wake the captain up because the upperdeck conning speaker was right above his head :p