Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

English Servicemen

Longlook exchange was a great idea for Brits, when we had people from CFM go on exchange to Oz they did very little work and were given loads of time off to go and travel around out there. On the reverse side, the aussies' that came to us were worked the same as us and given no extra time off, bit of a shame really.
Of all the people I know who exchanged, they all loved it, and they all said the same thing, that you only have to do a bit of work over there and you shine, apparently the training over there is't quite what it is in UK so a bit of an easy ride for ex RN types.

Jimmy_Green said:
Hobbit,

do you have any info about transferring Pusser's pension to the RAN?

Negative sorry JG and a question I believe would want an answer straight from the horse's mouth Maybe a lump sum transfer would be possible as in any change of position over here but best be 100% positive If you're thinking seriously about best o'luck

:D

F169 said:
Hobbit - this thread's title is dangerous to Health. If my Scottish partner catches me reading it...........

Moving your family to the other side of the world is a big decision and one not to be made lightly. If you and your family have done a tour abroad before, EG Gib, Germany it will not be so difficult. If you are single and your parents are healthy its easy!

For those with kids in their teens it is more problematical. I know one family who have struggled. He loves it and his wife and kids - teens) havent adjusted after several years. However, he is the only guy I know who still has issues (we dont use the word problems in OZ!) - out of at least twenty ex Brits in uniform in the 3 services that I have met. The education system is better than the UK state system (at the moment) and for those who want their are a lot of private schools and they are cheaper..........

There is absolutely no problem for the serving member in either professional or social terms - the RAN is just like the RN - except the conditions of service and attitudes are better. Unlike the RNZN, 'real' Aussies do not have a chip on their shoulders about Brits joining and are very welcoming - if you are prepared to pull your weight. A huge number were born in UK and got dragged over early by their parents or have parents who are brits.

Promotion is a realistic proposition - a couple of ex-RN officers have made 2 stars in the RAN in recent times. The ADF is a professional, expanding armed force - do not expect your fun in the sun to be a jolly!

The equipment is generally as good or better than the RN. A friend who did a type 42 exchange said he admired the people in the RN but was amazed at the crap equipment we put up with!

The conditions of service are considerably better - particularly in a war zone - tax free pay and about 80 quid a day allowances in Iraq. In general pay is not as good in straight equivalent terms BUT the cost of living is cheaper eg petrol about 50p a litre. If you are young, for every ten years you serve you get 3 months long service leave entitlement. If your circumstances change during your service you can arrange to work part time, 3 or 4 days a week, providing you can be spared. Something I cannot imagine being allowed to do in the RN. Submariners be warned - the RAN is a rounded, mature organisation - it has female submariners!

For Arrse guys - the army is expanding by nearly 3,000 guys (3 battalions) so real opportunities to make your mark. I believe last year a recruitment team were in the UK looking for 300 diggers to transfer from the British Army - and that was before the announcement about expansion!

Hope this helps............

Yes that was a bad fox's paw but the message is there and spot on in your post. There is a danger in the home-sickness area and in my case it will never quite go away but once you're head down arse up it's a great place for all

:D