England V New Zealand = Confused.

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by trehorn, Nov 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went to Twickers this weekend to watch the above match. Only ever been there once before for the Army v Navy match last year and I loved it.

Anyhoo, it's left me a little mixed up.

Stadium - great.
    Atmosphere - fantastic.
    Match - worth watching/good.

But, what's with all the toffee nosed tw*ts in wax jackets and flat caps? Champers on the train on the way down. Drinking their little bottles of wine in there seats.Not sure I could take that again.

The sound of the national anthem being sung was amazing - never heard anything like it. I turned to my 11 year old lad and said as an Englishman if that doesn't make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end nothing will.

Couple that with nearly knocking out a southern James Corden wannabee out in the heads and it pretty much sums up our day.

Still looking forward to May 3rd though ;-)

2. Throw backs. Still get them. Just ignore them. Your ticket is just as good as theirs.

Get hammered and enjoy the game. Just pray it doesn't go the complete opposite like kiss ball and end up with no booze allowed and segreagation.

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes Froggers is right. There are too many wax jacket brigade go to HQ just for face time and no intention of watching the game. It's very frustrating when you struggle to get tickets for internationals and when you get there you're surrounded by knobs like that who just chat through the game and only know the first two lines of Swing Low, assuming they can be arsed to sing it at all that is, they wouldn't want to look chavvish after all!

• Like Like x 1
  4. What's your thoughts on singing through the Haka?

My Kiwi mate got all annoyed by it. I saw it as the All Blacks trying to gain a mental advantage by psycing (spelling???) out the opposition and the fans trying to nullify that by singing over it.

Willing to be educated not being too familiar with it all.

5. tiddlyoggy

I don't agree with singing over the Haka. It's an integral part of the spectacle that comes with playing the AB's. Our crowds have now also taken to jeering the opposition kickers. I always thought only clueless twats who know **** all about rugby, or Sweaty Socks did that.

6. tiddlyoggy

As for psyching out the other team; if an international rugby player gets the jitters over an ancient war dance he is not mentally strong enough to play at Premiership level, never mind international. If you read up on it, players seem to enjoy facing the Haka, it can also be seen to motivate opposing teams too. Some players have found their own ways of counteracting the Haka, most notoriously, Richard Cockerill of England and Leicester facing down Norm Hewitt:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz....0....0...1ac.1.31.img..40.11.796.F_nJCL--a1g

7. I was at the Australia game the other week. Seems to me that the gents in the barbours and flat hats were a) probably quite warm, and b) there in enough numbers to have made a substantial contribution to both the atmosphere and the singing.

Club rugby outside the West Country is exactly the same (speaking as someone that got around the prem last year and this year is following LW round the championship). But I suppose if you don't want them there we could always ban 40-50% of the fans as you don't like the way they dress and have a problem with their accent, background, and choice of alcohol. Try getting away with that attitude in football. Pretty sure there's a word for it.

8. tiddlyoggy

I have no snag with how people dress, just their motives for attending the match in the first place and their lack of interest in the match and or contributing to the atmosphere.

Generally speaking, I'd disagree with this comment too:

Having been to most premiership grounds, the majority of fans are great. Good banter, respect to opposition fans and players, keeping quiet for kickers etc. Yes, all teams have a few idiot supporters, but there is only one team I have had real problems with, and on more than one occasion; Gloucester, which as you know is a West Country club anyway.

9. Gloucester are a bit "different" yes, although I went to Glaws vs LW A (ahem, sorry, Sale) at the start of this season and enjoyed it more than I have done before. I actually meant that most fans are great, despite the fact that 40% outside the west country wear barbours!

I think my point was more that they are at Twickenham in such numbers that they must be contributing to the atmosphere and the singing, or at least as much as the idiot from Dudley Kingswinford RFC I had the pleasure of sitting next to at the France match in February who was at best incoherent even before the kickoff and was actually unconscious by the second half. I think that we all know that rugby has a sizeable middle class following, for want of a better term, but that there's a difference between the ones on a jolly and the ones who actually have gone to watch the rugby. In my experience, the latter far outnumber the former.

Having said that, as the proud owner of a barbour, if someone wanted to feed me champagne all the way down to HQ on the train, then give me little bottles of wine to drink throughout the match, I think I'd probably say cheers easy if the price was right.

I quite liked the Wasps fans by the way, but I think that was the shared brotherhood of rugby at out of town football stadia more than anything else...

10. tiddlyoggy

Ah, I didn't quite get your first point.

WRT your second, I really have to disagree. Yes there are some genuine fans there, but I have sat next to far too many who just want to catch up with their old school chums and talk through the entire match, ignore the singing (most at HQ don't actually know Swing Low anyway!!!) and often spill drink over the people sat in front of them. Sadly many of these wear the stereotypical middle class civvies. Perhaps it's just that I've been unlucky, but I know several of my friends who've had similar experiences and none who've shared yours. If you're in the upper tier I think the atmosphere at Twickers for internationals is poor. Murrayfield and The Arms Park (not managed the Millenium yet) are/were far better because those crowds actually want to support their team. I recall going to England Scotland some years ago (one of my first internationals) with a Jock mate. We were singing like mad trying to get the people around us involved with nothing in response. We even resorted to Flower of Scotland to try and get a reaction, those stiff upper lips were immovable that day! I agree it's better on the middle and lower tiers where the noise surrounds you a bit, and I was once lucky enough to carry the flag at England V the Boks and God Save the Queen is truly amazing when you're on the pitch, but we could get behind the side so much more. Coincidentally, I think Wasps fans are too reserved as well, many crowds of comparable size make far more noise for their teams IMO.

11. Anyone know when the RNRU shop is re-opening, website says soon, but I say I'll do stuff soon to the wife and it never gets done!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

12. Being a Wasps STH I see where you're coming from. I tell you what the problem is.....one bloody syllabil. Try making a decent song out of one bloody syllabil.

DW boards in the early days were swamped with how to make a song out of one poxy syllabil.

13. I'm all for singing over it. Why not? OUR home ground. OUR crowd. So let's compete with them.

That said I liked SCW's idea of watching the Haka then walking to the side and slowly taking off trackies, taking on fluids etc. This allows the opposition to calm down from their euphoric state. They still use the policy today.

14. Glaaaaaaws and Bath, whilst being salt of the earth and fairly knowledgable on the game and all that pleasant rubbish. I find them the most annoying arrogant fans of all time.

Bath especially. I relish them winning nothing every year. They seem to think they have a god given right because of their history. History, that's all you have. Oh and a nice ground. I give them that. A nice ground, with no trophies.

15. You say nice. I say "characterful." I'm glad I don't have to go to the Rec every week, although as a structure I could just about cope with Castle Grim. At least at the Kassam (and I feel like I'm clutching at straws here), we're generally dry. Now we just need to sort the ticketing, beer, atmosphere... Having said that, what's happening on the pitch is good so far this season.

16. Bath are amazing

17. tiddlyoggy

Froggers, yes I know the problem with the monosyllabic chanting, but even the "Allez, allez, allez" is often half hearted at best. Chief's do fine for noise from the crowd with their single syllable. I think it may be a bit of home counties reserve? As you know, I do the DW boards and I've seen all the talk of chants, if push comes to shove, what's so wrong with just cheering? I think there's a big difference between Barf and Gloz fans, Bath are more like Tiggers fans to my mind, an arrogant expectancy to win. This is at least justified with Tiggers fans, but as you've already pointed out, a tour of Bath's trophy room wouldn't take long. Gloz fans however I find rude, abrasive and loutish (look at the beer throwing incident with Elliot Daly recently). I have only ever come to the point of being close to violence twice at rugby matches, both were against Gloucester. That said, I'm not sure I harbour any grudges against any of those clubs. Certainly not Barf or Tiggers, Gloz, oh okay maybe a little bit!

18. tiddlyoggy

R3 can you justify your last comment?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Really? From what perspective? Not winning a trophy since '97 amazing? The PP don't count Tiddly!

20. In general, one of things I like about rugby is the near absence of grudges between fans. Having said that, I think Bath could learn a lot from the team that I grew up watching, Moseley, who've got a history and top flight pedigree that would make most clubs green with envy, yet have been through so much off the pitch that to say they showed humility would be making them sound dangerously arrogant.

BTW, Chiefs have got that bl**dy war drumming and Indian singing, which probably helps them get over the single syllable thing, although you wouldn't want to sit next to it after the first 40 minutes.