Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ENGINEERS: Financial Retention Incentive

Babbamorris

Midshipman
Has anybody heard info on this.

I spoke to DFOST Friday and he said £21000 for PO's & £28000 for CPO's all for 3 years service. Crazy really as they never seam to work.

Free money as far as I can see.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody heard info on this.

I spoke to DFOST Friday and he said £21000 for PO's & £28000 for CPO's all for 3 years service. Crazy really as they never seam to work.

Free money as far as I can see.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Free money - but it will come at a price. Those who sign up will be first in the queue to get drafted to submarines!!

There will usually be a pricey return of service as well, don't expect anything less than three years. However, it should all be detailed in either an RNTM or DIN. If he's going to give you dits like that, he should be able to tell you which it is - otherwise, pop into the UPO and aggressively ask the baby writer manning the duty desk. They'll only be too pleased to help.

Again missing out killicks just as the Submarine WE branches have.
They can just grow killicks they say, shame they don't try and grow some senior rates as well.

Again missing out killicks just as the Submarine WE branches have.
They can just grow killicks they say, shame they don't try and grow some senior rates as well.

FRIs are targeted at the groups where the 'hole' and the 'effect' is felt - of late you'll have seem RNTMs detailing reducing/removing educational requirements for promotions/OPS etc. All part of efforts to get AB through the pipeline quicker once they're experienced and ready for promotion.

The problem the Navy appears to have is further along the manning chain from Senior PO to WO2, so they are targeting that first as it is having the greatest impact.

There may well be manning issues all along the chain but the source of money is not infinite so they have to target the area they can get the best returns from.

FRIs are targeted at the groups where the 'hole' and the 'effect' is felt - of late you'll have seem RNTMs detailing reducing/removing educational requirements for promotions/OPS etc. All part of efforts to get AB through the pipeline quicker once they're experienced and ready for promotion.

The problem the Navy appears to have is further along the manning chain from Senior PO to WO2, so they are targeting that first as it is having the greatest impact.

There may well be manning issues all along the chain but the source of money is not infinite so they have to target the area they can get the best returns from.

If the problem is promoting people to WO2 this FRI is still not making it worthwhile to be a WO2.

Also I have not met one senior rate who has taken the FRI and said that he was ever going to do anything other than stay in anyway. Seems to most people they are just giving £50k to people for nothing.

Last edited:
Submariner TWS and SWS SRs are getting £50,000 for 4 years (maybe 5). So far they are proving 50k is not enough to make people stay.

Yup, go offshore and you'll earn more than this in 5 years, with the added bonus of not staying in a black tube. Plus if you've done 22, drawing the 10 grand pa as well. RN not really that attractive then.

I believe that the RFA are also hemorrhaging engineers, especially those with Class 2 or Class 1 Certificates of Competency. I haven't heard that there are any incentives - financial or otherwise - being offered to stay or return.

Yup, go offshore and you'll earn more than this in 5 years, with the added bonus of not staying in a black tube. Plus if you've done 22, drawing the 10 grand pa as well. RN not really that attractive then.

This is the reason why i will not be taking the FRI if/when it comes out, Chit in this Aug to go outside on Offshore vessels, When i leave i would have done 11 years (12 years boys time), people say why not stay until 12, the only big difference is the 10k grant in which i hope to earn more than that by going offshore.

Latest Threads