Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Engineering?

Lingo

What are everyone's opinions on the better department as career choice, Communications or Engineering/Motorman? Pros and cons of each? Both appeal with problem solving and being technical, just one is computer and networks the other is engine rooms and everything mechanical. Rather hear from the horses mouth on prospective of these roles?

Unless one has experienced both in the same timeframe, one can really only bring ones personal prejudices to the debate.

Every Comms Officer is a RTO (Rating to Officer) and (last I heard) topped out at 2/O.

There’s at least one Captain(E) who began as a Motorman.

- Are there physiological reasons why there are so few female motorman/engineering ratings?
- According to the website, SE Cadetship no longer requires UCAS points including A level maths, is this an information typo? As mentioned on another thread, it is the foundation of SE to understand the very basics etc. Would foundation mathematics for engineering be accepted (bridging module)?
- Has the recruitment tests changed, are the interviews and tests now online?

#No trolling, if you want to be a Tw@T keep scrolling passed.

Last edited:
- Are there physiological reasons why there are so few female motorman/engineering ratings?
- According to the website, SE Cadetship no longer requires UCAS points including maths, is this an information typo? As mentioned on another thread, it is the foundation of SE to understand the very basics etc. Would foundation mathematics for engineering be accepted (bridging module)?

The criteria is strict on GCSE grades and subjects. If you don't have them then you won't be considered no matter what you achieved since. However subsequent achievements may affect if you get placed onto an HND or Foundation degree course in college.

My interview was online on lockdown, not sure what the situation is now. Rumour is it would stay that way for a while on cost grounds.

- According to the website, SE Cadetship no longer requires UCAS points including A level maths, is this an information typo? As mentioned on another thread, it is the foundation of SE to understand the very basics etc. Would foundation mathematics for engineering be accepted (bridging module)?

I wouldn’t say there are physiological reasons why there are few female motorman/engineering ratings, but maybe I’m missing something. In general there are a lot fewer women in engineering. I currently do engineering in a shore based job and I could count on one hand the number of female engineers we have in a team of over 50.

I think I remember hearing about a study on this and it was an interesting read with regards to the psychology of it all and how young girls will be drawn to stem jobs but once they go through puberty this changes quite a bit. That being said I can’t remember much more of it so can’t have been too interesting.

Last edited:
Since you seem to want a serious answer
Are there physiological reasons why there are so few female motorman/engineering ratings?
No, I think the number of female marine engineers/technicians at sea has more to do with the low starting pool of females who want to enter STEM professions, and who then want to work offshore.

For example roughly 11% of the total UK engineering work force is female

In 2017 the RFA's engineering department (ME/SE) was 1.9% female; at the same time 0.9% of our engineering trainees were female.
<Data Source>

In 2018 roughly 1.4% of all British Seafarers were female and working in engineering, however the number under training at that time was 10%.
<Data Source>

Unfortunately I dont have more modern numbers to compare to, but I have seen a lot more females coming through and making it to the senior ranks.

The physiological: Marine Engineering is hard tough manual labour, but there are guidelines to what is considered safe for one person to lift/shift (16kg for women & 25kg for men) and the ability to handle these are well within the ability for people to train for down the gym. A lot of injuries occur when people decide to be a hero and exceed these limits while trying to work in an environment which is rapidly moving in 3 dimensions.

The psychological I think is the real issue, being a seafarer has traditional been viewed as a male only role in the UK, and the same goes with engineering. It takes a lot to overcome this prejudice at home and at work, and so to break into marine engineering as a profession. Combine this with occasional hostility and harassment (just being honest it exists, but it is something that is actively being stamped out) and the isolation of being often the only female in your role onboard can be daunting and tough; its no surprise that not every female wants this sort of challenge on top of learning a technical role.

A lot is being done to overcome these issues, and progress is being made, but we are still on the journey, and are a long way from arriving at our destination where being a female engineer at sea is as easy or an easier choice than being one ashore.

Its possible that the UCAS requirement has been dropped, but if you go to the maritime academy websites they generally still list it. So like all things serious on here; best to check with the actual authorities and email the RFA or ask at the Careers Office.

No idea, unfortunately my role is a long way away from the recruitment side of the business; as above email the RFA or ask at the Careers Office.

Easy decision, Comms
Unless you fancy (on the rare occasion you hit a good port) being the only department stuck on board whilst the rest of the ship is on holiday.

Also, air con....

Only reason to ever go ME is if you genuinely love that noisy, dirty, hands on environment, which some people do.
The fact you asked the question means you prob don't

I am that kind of morlock that loves been hands on in such an environment, working in the shadows, and the thought of getting to grips with all things engineering building up to/including the LH course genuinely excites me. After spending a year working at a computer desk, I can say I am unfortunately not the type to sit around with a cuppa in a nice air con room, it is like being couped up in a cage and I become a stress head with the computers/systems being slow and outdated, and stupid requests from people. It is unfortunate that MEs do not get to venture ashore as much as other departments, but I am more than use to being duty booty stuck onboard whilst everyone else gets day release. The timescale for promotion and sexism in comparison to other departments is however a bummer.

Sexism wasn't tolerated on the officer side, but I must admit, I don't think I ever sailed with a female MM once. Quite a few Deckies though.

But certainly, there is no way sexist comments are being made out in the open in the MCR in 2022. You'd be off that ship before you'd finished packing.
But stuff more subtle? I've no idea. Any female crew on here would be able to give you a more honest answer on that side of things.

Speaking to MM previously I can say it is one of the reasons I changed my application from MM to comms. Sadly they influenced my decision at the time.

Latest Threads