Engineering Solutions

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Bergen, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here’s one for those mathematics geniuses amongst us mere mortals!!

Problem: A backhoe weighing 8 tons is on top of a flatbed trailer
    heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas The extended
    shovel arm is made of hardened X75 steel and the approaching
    overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with
    1 1/2 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a criss-cross
    pattern layered with 1 foot vertical spacing.

When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast does the
    trailer with the backhoe have to be going to slice the bridge in half?
    (Assume no headwind and no braking by the driver who is oblivious
    of the situation . . . )

Extra Credit:

Solve for the time and distance required for the entire
    rig to come to a complete stop after hitting the overpass at the
    speed calculated above .

Scroll down....... ...

- It doesn't really matter... The point is that the
    trucking company just bought themselves a bridge . :thumright:
  2. Got a call to a job which was fairly similar a year or 2 back Bergs. Some numpty hadn't retracted the HIAB on their truck properly so when they passed underneath a railway bridge it made contact and the front wheels of the truck left the ground and the vehicle cab hit the underside of the bridge serious injuring the driver and passenger. They were anaethetised on scene and taken to Smellyoak where i think they made a full recovery.

I was more worried about whether the bridge was going to fall on my swede than anything else. FMIRB
  3. Same in Cornwall a few years ago. Backhoe on a trailer with the arm and bucket waving in the wind. Nightime. Narrow lanes and several oncoming cars hit with multiple fatalities.

Here endeth the safety lesson :thumright:
  4. Yup, and still picking the bits of glass out of my Parabag mate. Wasn't pretty and remember feeling decidedly outnumbered (10-1) by the drip stands (fire service knobbers) and their usual squawk of "want the roof off mate??" so they can get their cutting equipment out.

Wasn't a pleasant day but i'd forgotten about it until you started this thread so it's your fault!! :thumright: :thumright:
  5. Your photos have only just appeared on this page mate. Kinell they made a decent job of that didn't they??
  6. I was having finger problems...... the thread certainly makes more sense with the pictures :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

7. I guess having six fingers on each hand is a Cornish thing mate but its helps when twanging away to dueling banjo's

:thumright: :thumright:
  8. And it's certainly refreshing to meet someone like your good-self who is from Sarf Lunnon but who has a Norwegian name - Cnut :bball:
  9. [email protected] :dwarf:

Touche' me old china!!! :thumright: :thumright: