Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engineering Officer question

Evening folks,

I was just looking to bend your ears for some info. I have been offered and accepted an interview for an engineering officer role, and i was wondering what the training pipeline is if i got the job? I must add that i an not actually ETO qualified, but given my experience on Navy vessels they have been willing to consider "fast tracking" me. Once i got ETO qualified, what training would i expect next?

Thanks in advance.

Random

Lantern Swinger
You might want to update your question title to "System Engineering Officer question" otherwise you might get some confused plumbers responding :D

The ETO qualification is a commercial merchant navy licence issued by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (for the UK). The role of SE within the RFA is broader than that of a commercial ETO, and a lot of the extra training is military in nature. Therefore it really depends what courses you had done in the RN and are you still in date for them.

If you give us a bit more detail on your background I can probably take a wild arsed guess at what else you will need from our training framework.

You might want to update your question title to "System Engineering Officer question" otherwise you might get some confused plumbers responding :D

The ETO qualification is a commercial merchant navy licence issued by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (for the UK). The role of SE within the RFA is broader than that of a commercial ETO, and a lot of the extra training is military in nature. Therefore it really depends what courses you had done in the RN and are you still in date for them.

If you give us a bit more detail on your background I can probably take a wild arsed guess at what else you will need from our training framework.

I'm in a bit of a strange position in that I'm not Ex RN. I used to work in degaussing so wasn't too much of a stranger in doing engineering works in and around naval vessel. A recruiter basically lead me up the garden path and said I was perfect for an advertised Systems Engineering Officer role. I looked into it and it didn't look as if I was correctly qualified (not a qualified ETO) but I spoke directly to recruitment and they agreed to give me an interview anyway.

Random

Lantern Swinger
The requirement for an ETO qual was added to recruitment a couple of years back, however most RFA SEs are not ETO licenced (yet). Before the ETO course was created we traditionally recruited SEs from the dockyard/contractor community or from the Navy, with the rare oddity (like myself) who had neither experience in their CV.

I suspect the recruiters were taking the attitude that, as the majority of the department are going through some sort of fast track ETO training anyway, adding one more unlicensed person to the department would not be an issue.

So to answer your initial question the following is the required training to become 3/O (SE) Band C
  • ETO Certificate of Competency (or the RFA's ME108* course at HMS Sultan)
  • Education to at least HNC/HND/Foundation Degree level in an appropriate subject.
  • Royal Navy's High Voltage Authorised Person course (at HMS Sultan)
  • Royal Navy's Basic Sea Survival Course (BSSC) with a couple of top ups to achieve STCW requirements (at HMS Excellent).
*ME108 is a conversion course to marinise shore side electrical engineering types and to give them (if needed) the basic skill of hand stuff to repair equipment aboard ship.

to work you way up the pay bands and ranks it is a combination of, experience at sea, evaluations from your boss on the ship, and completing more courses.

These extra courses currently include the following:
  • UMMS User (the Royal Navy's maintenance management system)
  • SCPM User (a commercial maintenance management system, which the RFA prefers to UMMS)
  • Fire Detection System Maintainer
  • Generator, Motor and AVR Maintainer
  • Syncro Drive Motor Maintainer
  • Confined Spaces Training
  • STCW Human Elements Leadership and Management course at the ordinary level aka HELM(O).
  • Electrical Hazardous Area Training (normally the CompEx inspection and installation course).
  • Junior Management Safety Awareness training
  • Satellite TV Maintainer (very important for ship's morale)
  • Variable Speed Drive Maintainer
  • Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS) Maintainer for each of the ship classes.
What courses you need is reviewed and updated annually ie new courses are put on, old taken off (however they still count).

The requirement for an ETO qual was added to recruitment a couple of years back, however most RFA SEs are not ETO licenced (yet). Before the ETO course was created we traditionally recruited SEs from the dockyard/contractor community or from the Navy, with the rare oddity (like myself) who had neither experience in their CV.

I suspect the recruiters were taking the attitude that, as the majority of the department are going through some sort of fast track ETO training anyway, adding one more unlicensed person to the department would not be an issue.

So to answer your initial question the following is the required training to become 3/O (SE) Band C
  • ETO Certificate of Competency (or the RFA's ME108* course at HMS Sultan)
  • Education to at least HNC/HND/Foundation Degree level in an appropriate subject.
  • Royal Navy's High Voltage Authorised Person course (at HMS Sultan)
  • Royal Navy's Basic Sea Survival Course (BSSC) with a couple of top ups to achieve STCW requirements (at HMS Excellent).
*ME108 is a conversion course to marinise shore side electrical engineering types and to give them (if needed) the basic skill of hand stuff to repair equipment aboard ship.

to work you way up the pay bands and ranks it is a combination of, experience at sea, evaluations from your boss on the ship, and completing more courses.

These extra courses currently include the following:
  • UMMS User (the Royal Navy's maintenance management system)
  • SCPM User (a commercial maintenance management system, which the RFA prefers to UMMS)
  • Fire Detection System Maintainer
  • Generator, Motor and AVR Maintainer
  • Syncro Drive Motor Maintainer
  • Confined Spaces Training
  • STCW Human Elements Leadership and Management course at the ordinary level aka HELM(O).
  • Electrical Hazardous Area Training (normally the CompEx inspection and installation course).
  • Junior Management Safety Awareness training
  • Satellite TV Maintainer (very important for ship's morale)
  • Variable Speed Drive Maintainer
  • Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS) Maintainer for each of the ship classes.
What courses you need is reviewed and updated annually ie new courses are put on, old taken off (however they still count).
Thank you for the excellent answer. Would all of that be after attending BRNC? Sorry to be a pest

Random

Lantern Swinger
BRNC is a funny one, if you were a normal cadet the first thing you would do is go there and then start studying for your certificate of competency at one of the merchant navy colleges. However as they said they would fast track you it might be possible they may do something different with you; so worth asking the RFA recruitment team.

Magic, thanks for your help. It was researched but given my circumstances I don't think the information given on the RN website etc would apply to me.

Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Air Engineering Officer or Hydrographer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
K Direct Entry Marine Engineering Officer Joining the Royal Navy 22
K Marine Engineering Officer - Commonwealth applicant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
A Air Engineering Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
L Marine engineering officer questions Joining the Royal Navy 2
K Marine Engineering Officer Questions Joining the Royal Navy 16
JRATGEng Engineering Officer or UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Typical day for an engineering officer in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 11
Sgt Jobsearch Assessor/Training Officer (Engineering) - Bournemouth - £22,000 - £24,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
blarny23 Engineering officer training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
G Weapon Engineering Officer Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Weapon Engineering Officer/E(IS)O SIFT interview queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D Weapon engineering officer (colour deficiency worries) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Air Engineering Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R progression of a weapons engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
C "Joining the RFA as an Engineering Officer Cadet through the HND route" RFA 3
soleil Thisisthewestcountry: "Air Engineering Officer 'Safe And Well' In Afghan" The Fleet Air Arm 1
A Weapons Engineering Officer- Surely it's not that bad? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
S new iPhone app for engineering officer recruits! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
johansen Marine Engineering Officer (SM) Training Pipeline Submariners 2
J Engineering Officer (Training Management) - age. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Weapons Engineering Officer Subs, or Surface. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
I Air Engineering Officer or Air Engineering Technician? The Fleet Air Arm 14
E CIS Engineering Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
G Technician (Weapon Engineering) Communications Information Systems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
O Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) Branch Joining the Royal Navy 1
T preparation for RFA engineering apprenticeship RFA 26
S RFA engineering interview RFA 4
MoD_RSS Engineering a bright future for women MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA engineer in 2020 Top 50 Women in Engineering awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the women in engineering helping to shape the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chemical engineering for nuclear in the spotlight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Celebrating 10 years of Green Engineering in Cumbria MoD News 0
H Engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Engineering new normals MoD News 0
Gematria Laziest Engineering Branch? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
K Air engineering technician recruitment phase Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Royal Navy Engineering Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
soleil FB: HMS Sultan: "It's An Air Engineering First For Accelerated Apprentices" Bases / Shore Est 6
J Accelerated apprentice scheme in marine engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
0 Studied law - hated it, now want to pursue a career in engineering with the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
09traej RFA Engineering Cadetship - Graduate RFA 13
L Comms or engineering? RFA 2
B Marine Engineering phase 2 Course length?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
K Cadet Engineering advice RFA 4
MoD_RSS Tax offences lands engineering boss 11-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary pays tribute to late Lord Bhattacharyya with new engineering inspired initiatives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vacancies: Inspectors of Air Accidents (Engineering) MoD News 0