Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engineering officer docked duties

LukeD

I have seen some threads saying when not deployed you're in from 8am to 4pm on hand for anything needed like painting etc or you're training. I have also seen a lot of people saying that officers mainly do paperwork. My multiple questions are, as an engineering officer will I mostly be doing paperwork when deployed/not deployed what would the days time frame look like, is it a Monday to Friday working week deal, if not roughly how many days per week are you in when not deployed.

Separate question with regards to deployment, when deployed is it usually a 6 on 6 off 7 days a week cycle for the entire deployment. Does this change for different roles.

Biker Buster

Lantern Swinger
On boats, alongside you'll be long days every day until qualified. (No room for passengers).
Then you'll move into the duty roster. Mostly you will govern your own day, if you want to get hands on you can BUT you must be prepared to do what you are told by your subordinates.
Other than that a lot of your time will be desk jockeying.
At sea is different you will stand watch like the rest of the crew, either 4 on 8 off (fleet boats) or 6 on 12 off (bombers).
That being said your first patrol will be a tough one as you'll have to complete all sorts of watch keeping qualifications and a BSQ. This applies to everyone irrespective of rank or job.
Look past the bollocks and bullshit, integrate with your crew and you will have a great (and very rewarding) time.

Hope thi helps

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Luke - if you are a WE officer you will be 6 on/6 off from the moment you sail until the day you get back. As the baby, expect to be duty (or double banking if you have not qualified) first night back.

As I understand it (Wreckage will probably confirm) the ME chaps have their watches as 4 on 8 off because the people who license the kettle don't want sleepy folk looking after it. It also gives then time for a (small) piss up......

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
SB is basically correct, looking after the ketlle and all the pipes full of hot fog tends to be tiring, especially when the hot fog escapes out of the pipes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E 2021 joining timeline - Engineering officer cadet RFA 1
R Engineering officer or engineering advanced apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
I marine engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Air Engineering Officer or Hydrographer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
K Direct Entry Marine Engineering Officer Joining the Royal Navy 22
K Marine Engineering Officer - Commonwealth applicant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
A Air Engineering Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
L Marine engineering officer questions Joining the Royal Navy 2
K Marine Engineering Officer Questions Joining the Royal Navy 16
JRATGEng Engineering Officer or UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Typical day for an engineering officer in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 11
Sgt Jobsearch Assessor/Training Officer (Engineering) - Bournemouth - £22,000 - £24,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
blarny23 Engineering officer training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
G Weapon Engineering Officer Career Progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Weapon Engineering Officer/E(IS)O SIFT interview queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D Weapon engineering officer (colour deficiency worries) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Air Engineering Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R progression of a weapons engineering officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
C "Joining the RFA as an Engineering Officer Cadet through the HND route" RFA 3
soleil Thisisthewestcountry: "Air Engineering Officer 'Safe And Well' In Afghan" The Fleet Air Arm 1
A Weapons Engineering Officer- Surely it's not that bad? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
S new iPhone app for engineering officer recruits! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
johansen Marine Engineering Officer (SM) Training Pipeline Submariners 2
J Engineering Officer (Training Management) - age. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Weapons Engineering Officer Subs, or Surface. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
I Air Engineering Officer or Air Engineering Technician? The Fleet Air Arm 14
E CIS Engineering Officer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
B Air Engineering Technician - Flight Time UPO/Careers Office 45
Blondie2000 Female joining RN engineering apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
Y Competency questions engineering apprenticeship RFA 0
Y Rfa Engineering Apprenticeship start date RFA 2
MoD_RSS Cambridge Vacuum Engineering benefits from clean energy projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vacancies for Inspectors of Marine Accidents (Engineering or Nautical) at MAIB, Southampton MoD News 0
C Weapons Engineering apprenticeship Surface Fleet Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
G Technician (Weapon Engineering) Communications Information Systems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
O Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) Branch Joining the Royal Navy 1
T preparation for RFA engineering apprenticeship RFA 27
S RFA engineering interview RFA 11
MoD_RSS Engineering a bright future for women MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA engineer in 2020 Top 50 Women in Engineering awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the women in engineering helping to shape the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chemical engineering for nuclear in the spotlight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Celebrating 10 years of Green Engineering in Cumbria MoD News 0
H Engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Engineering new normals MoD News 0
Gematria Laziest Engineering Branch? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
K Air engineering technician recruitment phase Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Royal Navy Engineering Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39