Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

(engineering) - joining at 16

jharland4467

Midshipman
evening everyone,

i am currently at an engineering school, doing my various GCSE courses, including some engineering qualifications.

Would it to be wise to join as a technician at 16? Has anyone got any experience and advice worth sharing about joining at a young age?

Cheers in advance everyone

My son joined as an AET aged 16. He decided against taking the 6th form and university route. He is about to finish his training without the massive debt he would have incurred at uni. He is relatively well paid and saving towards a mortgage at 17!!

Most older Engineers on here joined at about 16, if you stay around long enough, and put the time and effort in, you can leave very well qualified, whilst being paid a full time wage during any training.

I thought @Ninja_Stoker would have pointed that direction out?:rolleyes:;)
Most young people are more computer, internet & social media savvy than me, to be fair.

I'm leaving the recruiting business in days few and moving on to Navy PR ..."Oi, get off that soddin' gun mounting, Lofty".

I reckon I'll be a natural ;)

I'm leaving the recruiting business in days few and moving on to Navy PR ..."Oi, get off that soddin' gun mounting, Lofty".

I reckon I'll be a natural ;)

Does that mean you are going to finally retire, and hang up your cap, or you signing on for anther 5 in a new role? how many days is a few?
Pigeon's, Pigeon's every where :cool:

th

Does that mean you are going to finally retire, and hang up your cap, or you signing on for anther 5 in a new role? how many days is a few?
It's hopefully another 3 year extension, taking me to just over 40 years service. I'm waiting for the contract in my inbox as we speak....

My son joined as an AET aged 16. He decided against taking the 6th form and university route. He is about to finish his training without the massive debt he would have incurred at uni. He is relatively well paid and saving towards a mortgage at 17!!
was there any waiting time and if so how long was it?

are subs worth it? for every report saying it's worth the money I've heard of people becoming ill. would it just be better to stay on surface on something like weapon?
I ,did 12yrs surface & 12 boats I liked both for different reasons. I think there are some visits your AFCO (recruiter) can arrange, speak to them 're different options, career paths and waiting times to join, get yourself as much information as possible. The problem with new is you do not really know until you get there? Good luck

Latest Threads