Engineering In The Royal Navy

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Sep 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you think?

2. Yes...I'll have some of that. Where do I sign?

3. And not a scotchbrite in sight :)

4. It seems more beardy than 'my day'.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Haha!! So as a JR ET you never get the same job over again? As a section head you do, as an ET well, get used to some bits of kit, you'll know them better than your family by the end of a draft.
    And that clever chap who said the ME's 2 jobs are looking after the RO plants and the DG's, **** me that's a small department. The hull and the engines are fairly important too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The irony is it's a Booty Warrant Officer doing the voice-over (top bloke, too).

A bit too "sound-bite" for me with meaningless one-liners that don't really help potential recruits find-out more about the actual job, but if it's in the lingo of the potential applicant who isn't really arsed what he's actually gonna be doin', fair one, innit bro'.

It's good that they used real people rather than actors, but agree either a beard or not a beard is a better image to project than someone not having a shave.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tiddlyoggy

Yeah, the "beards" were crap. Week one of not shaving for charity on the way home?

8. Well, perhaps it would be too harsh to call it a "Stand Easy Production" but I'm, (and probably others), are viewing it with a lot more knowledge and experience than the target audience.
    Not a bad effort really.

Gash beard though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

A step up compared to some of the near-insults thrown at people in the past. I like the idea that we are reaching out to both entries in the one presentation.

10. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

" ... at sea, there is no-one else to 'elp us, so we have to get that bit of equipment fixed and up an' runnin' again ... "

Shit breaks = OPDEF

Sod the loss of face. Sod the challenge of getting one's hands dirty. Sod the ignomy of perceived incompetence. Sod 'ownership'. It's what the COM is there for, innit?

A life without limits. And responsibility.

levers

11. That is a very unfair post. Are you still serving?

12. wal

wal Badgeman

There's no boilers, not even donkey blrs. so not for me thanks.

13. tiddlyoggy

It's a very accurate post actually, and yes, I am still serving. Thankfully not for much longer.

14. It's a massive generalisation, therefore inaccurate and unfair.

Are you actually working on a boat in the ME department and involved in the decision making process that brings a boat in?

My husband is and I know how bloody hard he works to keep his boat at sea. They have the best reputation of any boat up here and have earned it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. tiddlyoggy

Yes it is, but it's based on fact. The engineering branches have been destroyed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I was an ME on boats and it is bloody hard work especially when your miles from home and the boat breaks but, no matter how many concessions get raised, OPDEF's that bring you in/stop you sailing happen with alarming regularity.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I doubt Levers needs, or would wish anyone to defend his comments as he's eminently qualified to state his view of the engineering world in the service based on first hand experience.

Likewise, I doubt very much the observation was directed at undermining those who do the job as that includes the chap himself.

18. tiddlyoggy

I wouldn't say I'm defending him mate, merely agreeing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

'Boat'? So he is a submariner?

Back to the point. What interface (apart from over breakfast) on a professional provider-to-customer level do you have with HM Ships' Engineering Departments?

Second question: What is your experience of being a member of one of those Engineering Departments for 32 years of your adult life?

Supplementary question: What is your background in the training and development of any one of the three main Engineering Departments?

Bonus question: Do you actually know what my position was on one of these 'boats', and my experience from lower deck upwards in one of the Engineering Departments?

Try not to confuse the fact that politicians have decimated the capability of the Royal Navy with the fact that there is a general malaise in fixing shit yourselves these days. Happy to discuss this further over a pint with a few spreadsheets if you want ...

levers

20. <slow hand clap> Obviously I can't answer those questions as I'm a wife but writing them down shows everyone just how superior you are to little ol' me so I'm definitely impressed and suitably cowed.

Back to my point if I may - Since you know everything and obviously all the DMEOs and MEOs personally, you'll know my husband and his boss. You wouldn't call either of them incompetent or cowardly to their faces simply because it wouldn't be true so to generalise and trash an entire branch like that is unfair and inaccurate which was my point in the first place.

I think I'll point Mr GS in the direction of this thread to cheer him up. It'll make him laugh if nothing else.