Engineering help!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dlc85, Jul 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im a little worried that my lack of engineering knowledge is going to effect me when I get to Sultan when I hopefully pass out of raleigh. As the afco told me I should already know how a engine and gas turbine work as im goin in as an etme and I don't know alot about the subject but I'm willing to do my upmost to learn. Can anybody recommend any books that could steer me in the right direction.

All help appreciated!

2. Don't worry.
    Everything will be provided for you, it is much better, as an instructor, to start with a "fresh page" so to speak, than have someone there in the class with their own take on matters.

3. learn the four stroke cycle of a disesl generator and a molecule of air through a gas turbine and prepare to do lots of cleaning in the bilge, haha
    i hated being a stoker thats why i transfered across to the marines and ive never looked back. good luck mate

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

5. If all you were doing is cleaning bilges then perhaps that's why you weren't cut out to be a stoker.
    Oh well, engineering isn't for everyone :thumright:

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Read the "swatting up before Sultan" thread, also in Newbies. Same question different branch, but advice still applies.

7. Yeah completly agree with you Lamri. After 5 years service you get a little board of watchkeeping. Out of the mess during the dogs doing taskbook training cleaning the flats for rounds oh and Bost, an endless amount of fun awaits. not to mention the food, its gash!

8. Dont worry, a lack of engineering knowledge is a requirement within the ME department.

;)

9. tiddlyoggy

a_m,
    What the f*** do telephonists know about engineering? We don't fix kit by calling Ferranti/Marconi and screaming "HELP!".

10. lol, knew I'd get a bite.
    BTW Ferranti and Marconi no longer exist. Stick to your watchkeeping binman.

11. tiddlyoggy

a_m,
    Get a bite? You've obviously got over your exertions at BOST (I know it must have been difficult to stay awake for over 8 hours) as this is the first post I've seen from you that hasn't been an out and out winge, you obviously got a bit last night too. Who was the lucky guy?

12. Its called narcolepsy, common side effect with being a WE, we also get to keep our sense of humour as well.

13. tiddlyoggy

Is that the bite turned round then? Time to come clean, I sussed out exactly who you are after your Thank F*** that's over thread, and have been waiting for a suitable chance for a spot of Mac baiting. If you read back through my posts I'm sure you'll be able to work out who I am. Keep smiling, you must be nearly done on there.