Engineering books

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Chewy, Oct 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought it might be a good idea to maybe get some basic aviation engineering books to have a look at while I'm waiting to join up.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of relavent material that would give me a head start before phase 2 :?:
  2. Anything on the theory of flight!
  3. The I Spy Book of Planes?
  4. Yeah nice one, I'll got get that then shall I???? :evil:
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

An Airfix model of a Harrier from Toys R Us... oh hold on; they've scrapped them, haven't they?
  6. Why not cant hurt can it?
  7. Don't worry too much about the books. The RN always used to have excellent books & training aids. Plus nobody likes a smart arse so don't always be the one with his hand up at question time.
    It may be worth practising beer drinking, black catting & housework. Ask your mom she'll be pleased to help train you in theart of cleaning & polishing
    Seriously enjoy your time in the navy you've picked the best branch
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Sea Harrier - scrapped, although Airfix do a nice GR7 variant that looks really good when painted in Humbrol enamels ... oh bugger, Airfix/Humbrol - scrapped :)
  9. BR 4006 is a must!it has the "Official" Rules of Uckers therein!
  10. Thanks slim im looking forward to the career change, although I'm actually 27, and could write a dissertation on drinking.

Im definatly not one to keep sticking my hand up, just wanted to refresh my memory as haven't done any serious engineering since uni, (not that I did much then, hence the Rating level entry.)
  11. At 27 you will probably be one of the more mature members of your course. When I did my REMs course back in 1963 we had a guy of about 25, most of us ranged from 16 to about 20 (very few G men). the more mature guys certainly had the edge on us younger ones. Their maturity showed through and normally the speed of promotion was quicker for them.
    If you have a degree that is pertinent to engineering I would advise you to think carefully at officer selection.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

All two of them:

1. Don't cheat
    2. Cheat, but don't get caught
  13. Im hoping to progress as quick as possible as I dont want to be relying on the other half financial for too long. Hopefully my life experiances, even at the young age of 27 will give me an advantage.

I didn't complete my degree, dropped out 2 years into the 4 year Beng Deg, hence the bit about the dissertation in drinking!

could have gone warfare officer without a degree but I'm quite happy with my choice, although i'm relying on fast-track to PO.