Engineering books

Thought it might be a good idea to maybe get some basic aviation engineering books to have a look at while I'm waiting to join up.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of relavent material that would give me a head start before phase 2 :?:

Don't worry too much about the books. The RN always used to have excellent books & training aids. Plus nobody likes a smart arse so don't always be the one with his hand up at question time.
It may be worth practising beer drinking, black catting & housework. Ask your mom she'll be pleased to help train you in theart of cleaning & polishing
Seriously enjoy your time in the navy you've picked the best branch

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
sgtpepperband said:
An Airfix model of a Harrier from Toys R Us... oh hold on; they've scrapped them, haven't they?
Sea Harrier - scrapped, although Airfix do a nice GR7 variant that looks really good when painted in Humbrol enamels ... oh bugger, Airfix/Humbrol - scrapped :)

slim said:
Don't worry too much about the books. The RN always used to have excellent books & training aids. Plus nobody likes a smart arse so don't always be the one with his hand up at question time.
It may be worth practising beer drinking, black catting & housework. Ask your mom she'll be pleased to help train you in theart of cleaning & polishing
Thanks slim im looking forward to the career change, although I'm actually 27, and could write a dissertation on drinking.

Im definatly not one to keep sticking my hand up, just wanted to refresh my memory as haven't done any serious engineering since uni, (not that I did much then, hence the Rating level entry.)

Chewy said:
slim said:
Thanks slim im looking forward to the career change, although I'm actually 27, and could write a dissertation on drinking.

Im definatly not one to keep sticking my hand up, just wanted to refresh my memory as haven't done any serious engineering since uni, (not that I did much then, hence the Rating level entry.)
At 27 you will probably be one of the more mature members of your course. When I did my REMs course back in 1963 we had a guy of about 25, most of us ranged from 16 to about 20 (very few G men). the more mature guys certainly had the edge on us younger ones. Their maturity showed through and normally the speed of promotion was quicker for them.
If you have a degree that is pertinent to engineering I would advise you to think carefully at officer selection.

Im hoping to progress as quick as possible as I dont want to be relying on the other half financial for too long. Hopefully my life experiances, even at the young age of 27 will give me an advantage.

I didn't complete my degree, dropped out 2 years into the 4 year Beng Deg, hence the bit about the dissertation in drinking!

could have gone warfare officer without a degree but I'm quite happy with my choice, although i'm relying on fast-track to PO.