Engineering Apprentice

Discussion in 'RFA' started by slimboyfat, May 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, can anybody help me out, I'm an ex RN Submariner and I was looking at applying for the RFA as an Engineering Apprentice, is this the old motorman branch? And also is it true that there is a shortage of them?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. There is indeed a shortage. Go for it.

I have my interview tomorrow, for Catering Assistant Chef. I'm an ex-stoker too, but I know they are looking for Stewards.

BTW, I applied beginning of Feb, and had the psychometric test on the 27th of March.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers mate and good luck for tomorrow! I have applied and completed paperwork and sent it off ( completed it online )

4. I'm an ex-killick tiff(me) and I was told I couldn't apply as an engineering apprentice, so it mite b worth u having a look at some of the other careers the RFA have incase u have the same problem (fyi I've applied for chef apprentice)

5. Wonder why they said that? But cheers will have a look at what else they have.

6. Basically because I had done all the courses that u wud do at sultan already when I was in the RN

7. All the more reason to select you but what do we know!

8. Exactly, but what can you do. At least it's given me the chance to do something else which I enjoy just as much as engineering

9. Good luck to you mate!

10. Does anybody know the routine for joining ship? Ie do you always join it in a British port or do you get flown abroad to join?

11. As far as I am aware of the ship is in UK waters then u wud join her in a UK port, since most RFA ships are deployed abroad then u wud fly out and meet her where ever she may be, just like the RN

12. Cheers, it will be strange to go back to a naval base under training lol I take it the RFA are left alone with regards to night rounds and all the other bollocks that came with the mob!

13. I have no idea about that, but from what I know and been told it's a much more relaxed environment compared to the mob, if there is night rounds I wud guess it wud be more of an informal walk around just to make sure areas are clean and tidy

14. I can't remember seeing any RFA personel on any training base so I just wondered!

15. When I was on tiffs course there was some at sultan doing their killicks course,and from what I saw they were pretty much left alone

16. Wow they must be short, I checked my emails and I had one from the RFA saying that they want me to go for test at careers office, somebody will be in touch with date for test!!

17. Your on ur way then, the test is the same one u did b4 ur joined the mob so should be no prob 4u, then after that is waiting 2c if u get a interview

18. Got test on the 21st, if it's the same one as joining up shouldn't be a problem

19. Exactly the same, I think I even got the same one I did when I applied for the navy

20. Happy with that, it wasn't that hard!

• Like Like x 1