Engineer or Mechanic?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Billy Q, Oct 21, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wire Men in the GPO were once called that.
    Today they are Telephone Engineers
    Sound Recordists in the BBC were once called that.
    Today They are Sound Engineers
    It seems all and sundry today call themselves something grand.
    One will get paid what one is worth.
  2. Seadog will be along in a minute or two I suspect...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm inclined to agree, but apart from confusion & self-worth, the individuals are as good as they ever were.

When I joined under the grand name of "Marine Engineering Mechanic" I remember being dismayed when the Colour Sergeant on the parade ground called my perambulating colleagues and I a "Bunch of 'orrible Stokers" as we were perfecting our collective choreography routine.

"Stoker?" I shivered inwardly. "Isn't that something that involves manual labour, something that the poor people do?"

When all's said & done, Cooks do the same job as Logistician Food Preparation, too.

I blame Mary Berry & under-employed SO1s.
  4. For some reason the armed forces have followed their civilian counterparts when it come to job titles.
    Civilian instances:

Sales Executive.............................Shop assistant
    Lawyer..........................................Solicitors Clerk
    Facilitator......................................Dogs Body
    Motorway Maintainers.................Paddy & Mick
    Technical Advisor..........................Telephone help desk person
  5. Tech Support Engineer - I have the drawings the customer hasnt :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Unfortunately Engineer is not a protected title in this country, so we do not get the same respect engineers get in other countries, they are held in the same light as Doctors, as true engineers will have followed some sort of formal training or assessment to be worthy of IEng or CEng. Most that call themselves engineers are skilled trades or technicians, e.g. Gas Engineer, water engineer (Plumber) not knocking the skill of a good plumber but not technically an engineer.
    When I first joined I was a JEM2 Junior Electrical Mechanic second class, I progressed to add an R for radio.
  7. I saw a job advert for a "Nail Technician" some time ago.
    It took me a while to work out that it was not a vacancy for an expert in metal fastenings.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. With own Hammer?
  9. I would like to take a hammer to some of the benefit scum who seem to frequent these nail bars. Food from the food bank but weekly trip to nailbar:mad:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. you could always do it in levels such as:

1-3 city and guilds/or equivalent = Mechanics/Electricians
    4-5 HND/HNC =Technicians
    6 BEng (not not BSc) with CEng = Engineer status

we have industrial fitters, but we refer to them to the customer as engineers, the managing director ticks me off for saying fitter on the phone.

That's what I think anyway
  11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

You missed Incorporated Engineer.

BEng on its own will now 'only' get (following a Professional Review Interview) IEng. Masters for CEng now. There are work arounds/ exemptions.

The Engineering Council and Professional Licenced Engineering Institutions publish the criteria/pathways. No need to take Hooly's or my word for it.
    • Informative Informative x 1