Engineer Officer Entry Requirement

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Robberov, Jun 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,

I've been browsing the Navy website looking for a change of career, and I'd like to get some clarification on the Officer education requirements.

I used the 'Live Chat' option and the person on the other end struck me as somewhat unknowledgeable. (Had to reiterate question multiple times, and required direct prompting. After describing what part of the website I was looking at, I get the feeling he just copied the requirements back to me.)

What I'd like to know is whether a Naval Officer requires IEng or CEng status to apply? I am not professionally registered yet, and not sure of the duration it takes to achieve IEng status (the one more suited to my current work).

I have a BEng in Electronics and years of technical servicing and maintenance of Ultrasonic and motion control equipment and have recently been promoted to senior level to lead the maintenance team.

For your reference, this is what is said on the website.

A UK recognised first degree in an engineering, maths or physics-based subject which must be accredited by the Engineering Council at CEng or IEng level.

Marine Engineer Officer (Submariner)| Royal Navy

Thanks in advance for anyone with an answer to my query.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Your degree needs to be accredited for IEng or CEng. You do not have to be registered when you apply. Indeed few if any are, it can take years to get the post grad/ qual experience for registration.

The IMarEST have their bespoke route to registration for RN and RFA personnel on their website. The IET may have the same on theirs. You can provide the links, I'm going on the lash.

Unless of course I'm hopelessly out of date.
  3. Rob

As Seadog says, you don't need to have achieved CEng or IEng status yourself; your particular degree needs to be accredited for CEng/IEng, but you don't need to have got to that level to apply.

Edit: Have added a link to allow you to check the accreditation of your course in a later post.

How old are you, by the way?
  4. Cheers for the quick reply and helpful information. Not sure who've they've got working the online desks on the website, as they just parroted the website back to me.

Btw, I'm 27, which is probably a bit late to be considering the forces, but I'd say I've racked up the experience and responsibilities of someone older.
  5. No problem with 27, that falls within the Engineer Officer age range for applicants.

Spend some time looking at the details on the RT, the entrance test which everyone sits, to get a bit of a head start:
  6. Rob

These are the specific requirements for Engineer Officer:

All degrees which are accredited by the Engineering Council at CEng or IEng level are acceptable for entry into the Royal Navy as an Engineer Officer.

Notwithstanding this, the following preferences exist for subject matter.

WE/ WESM. UK-recognised first degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, network or systems architecture disciplines; also candidates with broader engineering, communications and telecommunications that are accredited by the IET, accredited to CEng or IEng level.

ME/MESM. UK-recognised first degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering accredited to CEng or IEng level.

AE. UK-recognised first degree accredited to CEng or IEng level in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering or an Aeronautically related degree similarly accredited. However, if the number of applicants exceeds theplaces available, primacy would normally be afforded to those holding aeronautically related qualifications.

E(TM). Engineering, Mathematical, Information Systems or a physics based discipline. Candidates with degrees in related disciplines may be considered provided they produce evidence that they have studied mathematics / physics to at least university first year level. Occasionally, the need may arise for a limited number of graduates in international relations, international politics, defence studies or related subjects.

For WE/WESM, ME/MESM and AE the route to Incorporated or Chartered status is clearly defined. Provided that the degree studied is recognised by the Engineering Council, the Royal Navy’s training package for Engineer Officers meets their requirements for corporate membership.

Do let us know how you get on.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  7. It's pretty simple, if the degree is not accredited by the Engineering Council it isn't an Engineering Degree, as far as the RN is concerned. It doesn't matter whether or not the degree has "Engineering" in its title, what's important is that the EC recognises the content as being enough engineering to enable you to become, in due course, IEng/CEng.
  8. Degrees accredited by the institutes of maths or physics or the British computer society are also acceptable. You need to be under the age of 30 on the first day of the month in which you enter BRNC. Being an engineer officer in the RN is a fast track route to professional engineer accreditation - so you don't need to be accredited when you apply. You also need to have 5 GCSEs A-C inc English Language and Maths and min 180 UCAS points (3 Ds at A-Level).

Hope this helps.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  9. @NavyCareerPrep on Twitter for useful interview and AIB preparation info.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  10. Hi all,

When I first got in contact with the RN I was told I could apply as an engineering officer due to my A Levels. But then when I spoke with an AEO at my AFCO she said that at 25 I'd be too old to join as an AEO and earn my degree whilst I was in.. Can anyone shed some light on this as I keep getting the term "fast tracking" with regards to joining as a rating and working my way up instead of joining as an officer straight away.

I think I'll probably be well past Officer age by the time I get in but just want to explore the options..

Is engineering rating more hands-on (actual time on the tools) than engineering officer anyway?
  11. I have never seen an engineering officer with a tool of any description in his/her hand. If a pen is classed as a tool then I stand corrected.

The best AEO's are the one who don't know where the hangar is and believe everything the SMR tells him/her.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  12. I'll be sticking to my original application of AET then :)
  13. Upper age limit for RN Engineer officer is 30 but age waivers are possible if relevant industrial experience is held. The previous reply is correct in saying that as an engineer officer you'll rarely, if ever, touch a tool. You'll spend your time writing operational defect signals, briefing the captain or bitching at the navigator/PWO/pilot for breaking your kit.

you can't join and then get your engineering degree. You have to apply concurrently to applying to uni. You sit the AIB and if you pass then you get a reserved place/bursary/DTUS place. Look up engineer bursaries and the DTUS Scheme on the RN Website.

bursary and DTUS will give £4k/year and then £15k over three payments when you join. Or if you go get your degree then apply to join, the golden hello is £27k. Either way, you get the same amount of money.

point to note: degrees that are accepted by the RN for engineer officer roles are those which are accredited by the Engineering Council only.

This information can be trusted as correct as I'm an RN Careers Officer myself.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hi,

Sorry - have just read your post and I have a question re it. I've just passed my AIB and was hoping to go in as a WE. But my degree which is a BSc in Mathematics (honours) isn't on the accredited list by the Institute of Mathematics: of Accredited Degree Programmes for Web 21-08-2014.pdf

Is this going to be a problem? Because there are A LOT of good universities that do maths that are not on that list and unfortunately mine is one of them!

Advice appreciated - will contact my Uni to ask it also. But you guys always know so thought it's worth asking!
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

By the book, the validity of your degree should've been verified by your ACLO prior to AIB. In the event it wasn't and there's been an error, keep us posted.

Good luck.
  16. Hi Ninja_stoker, thanks for that. I think the reason is I originally applied for warfare. I passed AIB but with a low score and the board offered me TM or WE as they thought I was better suited.
  17. I presume you are who I think you are and if so then I'm already looking into this for you :). Yes, you've managed to contact the same person you usually speak to but by independent means!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That makes entire sense. My money is on TM.