Engineer (Information Systems) Officer

ohaire

Badgeman
so then won't the non-grads, who joined up and passed the fleet board while grads at uni and got a good few years head start and therefore have the better rank

what im trying to say is that at the age of 22 a non-grad could be an Lt for a few years, while a grad, at 22 is still at sub Lt and not yet completed training

however the grad gets paid more during training

dunkers

War Hero
ohaire said:
so then won't the non-grads, who joined up and passed the fleet board while grads at uni and got a good few years head start and therefore have the better rank

That used to be the case but I think grads now get equal seniority to non-grads in order not to deter potential officers from going to uni (if I heard my ACLO right). I may be wrong here however

empty_vessel

Midshipman
you only get seniority for going to uni until age 21, this is prob to prevent loafing gits who hav 3 gap years then do a 1st degree in underwater basket weaving joining as lt with 3 years seniority.

Seniority is actually awarded for doing the job, not preparing for it, and while I agree with the current system, which is a lot fairer than the army equivalent, I don't think it needs to be taken any further than it is already.

Even UCEs (joined up, BRNC, then uni) who did Masters degrees marked time at SLt +2 seniority so they weren't promoted earlier than anyone else.

tr313

Badgeman
thanks for all the replys guys, i guess i just have to wait now untill the navy gets back to me, its been about 10days since i sent the first form back to them, guess it all takes time :)

alastair

Midshipman
It took exactly 1 week from submitting my initial interest form to getting a letter saying that my details had been passed to the OCLC. My initial interview was 8 weeks after that. Hope that helps.

ha ha ha ha
they tricked you.....

At the moment IS is not a branch with in the RN. It IS an ambition to make one, but as I understand it for IS officer read WE with IS aspects.

Good luck future DO's

dunkers

War Hero
So when the ACLO tells me I would be "working in the weapons engineering department" as an E(IS) officer he means "you'll be a weapons engineer, basically" ?

As for being a DO - that makes sense, I mean do we still have any weapons to engineer? :lol:

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fishmeister/Dunkers - wrong. The E(IS) are a branch in their own right, all 102 of them! Although they will from Sep onwards start to converge with the WE they are a distinct entity. Because there are shades of similarities the powers that be have decided on this course, and to topit off RAdm Rees Ward (WE) will be the grand fromage of the E(IS) too!