Engineer Apprentice, more info

Hi there. I've been a deckie on a roro ferry for 7 years & want a change of career. I'm looking at applying for the RFA as an apprentice engineer. My knowledge in engineering is VERY LIMITED... Does anyone know of any relevant websites that can help improve knowledge??? Cheers

Seadog

War Hero
Does anyone know of any relevant websites that can help improve knowledge??? Cheers
https://www.wikipedia.org/ Turning laymen into experts in all subjects since the Internet was invented. Nevertheless, apprentices are not expected to know much when they start out. The point of the apprenticeship is to learn the basics.

More seriously, you appear to be related to the Cadet(E) in a commercial company who now wants to be a Cadet (X) RFA and wants the RFA to underwrite his change of mind.

Were it up to me-and it isn't- you wouldn't get a look in.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
That's a bit harsh shipmate? 7 years is a pretty good return of service don't you think? He's hardly getting trained then leaving straight after qualification.

Cheers for that Klanky67. Our training was only the basics just doing the necessary STCW's and a couple of months as fourth hand before joining a crew- so not too much has been invested in us. A few of my work mates, Captain, Chief Engineer, Motorman and a couple of AB's are x RFA and really raved on about what such a good organisation it and with good career opportunities. I went to an RFA open day a few months back and know it's something I want to do

Someone's given you the wrong info seadog, never did a cadetship. Deckie, short for deck hand... and where I work, 7 years is far more than a "dog watch"

Seadog

War Hero
Someone's given you the wrong info seadog, never did a cadetship. Deckie, short for deck hand... and where I work, 7 years is far more than a "dog watch"
I never said that you did do a cadetship. I was merely challenging Kanky's assumption that 7 years would include a fair return of service. "Deckie" includes Deck Officers in the RFA.

Sorry mate, but you writing 4 years cadetship and deck officer on my lead made me think you were talking about me. Apologies for my assumption...
Anyway, now we all know what I do, back to my original lead, do you know of any suitable marine engineering sites you can recommend to me... apart from wiki, obviously