Engineer and Environmental Health Officers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by vstox, Dec 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am new to this site, I have been doing some research into the Navy. My current involvement is with the RAF as a reserve officer however, I am 25 and I wanting to join the services in the next couple of years. I have a couple of questions:

1. For the Engineer officer posts, do you have to have an engineering degree? I have seen the post of the training engineer officer but I have a degree in geography, which obviously has nothing to do with engineering.

2. Can you apply directly to be an Environmental Health Officer?

Many Thanks :thumright:
  2. 1. YES
    2. NO
  3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

EHO Thread

Try, this and call as you CAN join direct.
  4. Thanks for your responses, if you don't have an engineering background and you want to apply as an officer your options seem pretty much limited to Pilot, Observer, ATC and Logistics.
  5. Hi,

Yes there are options for EOH, but very few and normally they are looking for previous experience within environmentel health.

You can join directly into Warfare or logistics branches without a specific degree. That said, the cut off age for warfare is 26 so time is against you on warfare.

Best bet is to pop into your careers office next Monday

6. Thanks for your help Mario, much appreciated!!

Logisitcs would interest me, although my background is in project management, not sure if I could my skills much to the test. Having said that a lot of work is now based on project work. :thumright:
  7. Would the role of Hydrographic, Meteorological and Oceanographic Officer appeal to you?

By the way, when will you be 26?
  8. To be honest, the answer to 1 is actually "No....but...." each non-engineering degree, such as physics, would be considered on its merits depending on the individual. An engineering degree is preferred.
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps an English exam could put your skills to the test?