RFAseaman123

Midshipman
Can anyone that has passed the ENG1 and is overweight shed some light on the requirements? I’m currently 5ft7 and 17.8st down from 21st. I’m concerned I may be too overweight to pass but wanted to know if there was anyone the same or even higher that’s passed?

I’m aware I may need to do a step test and my general fitness is ok but I am overweight.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

RFAseaman123

Midshipman
Yeah I’ve seen that Seadog just talks about the BMI over 30 buT BMI is a load of shit sometimes so was hoping someone had more specifics

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Can anyone that has passed the ENG1 and is overweight shed some light on the requirements? I’m currently 5ft7 and 17.8st down from 21st. I’m concerned I may be too overweight to pass but wanted to know if there was anyone the same or even higher that’s passed?

I’m aware I may need to do a step test and my general fitness is ok but I am slightly overweight.

Any help appreciated.
I would hesitate to say that at 5'7" and 17 1/2 stone you are more than 'slightly overweight'

Seadog

War Hero
Yeah I’ve seen that Seadog just talks about the BMI over 30 buT BMI is a load of shit sometimes so was hoping someone had more specifics
ENG1s can be valid for as many as 2 years or as little as ( I’ve seen 6 months for a chubster). They can also be geographically limited, don’t leave coastal waters. Certain duties can also be prohibited, no lookout duties, in your case no unsupervised access to the provisions rooms.

Allowances are (have been) made for those already in the Service and got fat therein but if you haven’t yet joined and you’ve got a 6 month validity on your ENG1 when everyone else is getting 2 years you probably won’t be very attractive to recruiters, appointers/planners and those paying expenses.

Despite the guide, some Doctors can be evangelical about ‘a healthy weight’ and don’t take kindly to being told that BMI is a load of shit.

RFAseaman123

Midshipman
ENG1s can be valid for as many as 2 years or as little as ( I’ve seen 6 months for a chubster). They can also be geographically limited, don’t leave coastal waters. Certain duties can also be prohibited, no lookout duties, in your case no unsupervised access to the provisions rooms.

Allowances are (have been) made for those already in the Service and got fat therein but if you haven’t yet joined and you’ve got a 6 month validity on your ENG1 when everyone else is getting 2 years you probably won’t be very attractive to recruiters, appointers/planners and those paying expenses.

Despite the guide, some Doctors can be evangelical about ‘a healthy weight’ and don’t take kindly to being told that BMI is a load of shit.
Yeah I’ve been told I need an unrestricted 2 year one or I wouldn’t get the RFA offer of employment. Medical is next week and like I say I’ve dieted hard and got 3 and a half stone off since June. Just praying it’s enough.

Just a bit nervous that’s all as so badly want to pass. The last step needed for a start date of December 1st.

Rozz

Midshipman
You should ring the rfa directly and ask or speak to the Dr before your appointment (By bmi standards I am considered over weight however only by 2lb I got 2years unrestricted ENG1 )

RFAseaman123

Midshipman
You should ring the rfa directly and ask or speak to the Dr before your appointment (By bmi standards I am considered over weight however only by 2lb I got 2years unrestricted ENG1 )
Spoke to them and they just said if BMI is high they might make me do a step test or if the BMI is too high then could be rejected. Just didn’t know if anyone had any personal experiences where they were quite over. Just have to wait and see

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B RFA 2
L RFA 1
AussieMedic RFA 3