Eng 1, appointment made by RFA. Need help!

Jaybo

Midshipman
My Eng1 has been scheduled by the RFA to be done by one of their doctors because I am overweight. What does this mean?
Will they be very strict?
Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks in advance!!

Drakey

War Hero
My Eng1 has been scheduled by the RFA to be done by one of their doctors because I am overweight. What does this mean?
Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks in advance!!
Agree with dapperdun. Also.

Yes
Yes

Jaybo

Midshipman
Well that's a given lads, I know for a fact there's fatter than me in the RFA. Has this happened to any of you?

Seadog

War Hero
Well that's a given lads, I know for a fact there's fatter than me in the RFA.
I once saw the fattest man in NATO in RFA uniform (overalls actually- 8s/4s don't come in X marquee). He'd lost about 50 kg and was still mega. He had very restricted validity ENG1s, 6 months instead of 2 years. Smashing chap, just had a weakness for pies. He was already in, and had been for maybe 30 years. Candidates and recruits may be treated differently.

Moderator head on; banter with recruits is okay, bullying is not.

Canoe

Badgeman
Not sure yet, waiting on a date.
119 kg
Presumably you're not 6'6 or a pro rugby player, so BMI will be relevant and pretty high?

At that weight, you could safely & relatively easily lose 1-1.5kg a week. I've dropped 13kg in the last three months from a much lower starting weight.

Even if you don't have time to get down to a 'healthy' weight for the medical, showing up with a diary of weight loss progress might persuade the Doc that you've got things under control? Couldn't hurt...

If you want some tips, let me know and I'll drop you a PM.

Jaybo

Midshipman
Presumably you're not 6'6 or a pro rugby player, so BMI will be relevant and pretty high?

At that weight, you could safely & relatively easily lose 1-1.5kg a week. I've dropped 13kg in the last three months from a much lower starting weight.

Even if you don't have time to get down to a 'healthy' weight for the medical, showing up with a diary of weight loss progress might persuade the Doc that you've got things under control? Couldn't hurt...

If you want some tips, let me know and I'll drop you a PM.
Thanks Canoe,
I've actually lost 7kg in two weeks here, I'm flat out gym, running dieting etc...
It's going well started 126, I reckon if I got my date about a month from now I could easily be below 108, which would probably look good with evidence of that?!
As for BMI it's like 39.5 or something close to it...

Stirlin

War Hero
Thanks Canoe,
I've actually lost 7kg in two weeks here, I'm flat out gym, running dieting etc...
It's going well started 126, I reckon if I got my date about a month from now I could easily be below 108, which would probably look good with evidence of that?!
Good drills.

Canoe

Badgeman
Thanks Canoe,
Sounds like you're doing well.

Focus on that diet. 95% of your weight loss will come from it. It's absurd how hard you have to kill yourself to burn off a couple of hundred measly calories. An hour running or not eating a pork pie? I'll just skip the pork pie!

Take a look at the MyFitnessPal app on Android and IPhone. Along with a food scale, really helped me get my diet sorted.

Random

Lantern Swinger
It means that there are a large variety of MCA doctors out there and the RFA would prefer you see someone who interprets the rules the way they would prefer.

Is that strict? possibly. But thats not a negative thing, it is your health they are concerned with and they (and those serving with you) would like you to not kick the bucket whilst doing your job on the RFA's ships.

Remember that job also includes the joys of firefighting, hauling heavy damage control equipment, and in your case working in extreme temperatures for long periods (the galley can get a little warm in the middle east). This can be stressful on people in good health, it can be life threatening if you have poor.

Anyway if you really want to achieve it, you will, it might just take a little time!

Good luck

Seadog

War Hero
I'm no expert ( so don't sue me if you starve to death) but walking (long walks) is better than running for the XXXL types shedding weight. Running with extra flab is not good for the knees.

Lay off the beer, easier said than done.

Breakfast, (late) lunch then skip the evening meal. You may get hungry in the evening but resist the fridge and you'll sleep better.

Just my 2 kilos worth.

Latest Threads