Enforced Religion

HFQueen

Whether you believe or not is your own business, not the mobs.

The relationship between the man upstairs and me is between him and me. If I wish to practise my religion, I shouldn't be made to do it in the presence of the the CO and his sycophantic hangers on (you must of noticed, the ones who sing the loudest at carol concerts are within 6 foot of the old man).

There's a point. Is being religious a criteria for promotion in the officer core? Are there any aetheist commanders or captains driving ships???

HFQueen said:
Whether you believe or not is your own business, not the mobs.

The relationship between the man upstairs and me is between him and me. If I wish to practise my religion, I shouldn't be made to do it in the presence of the the CO and his sycophantic hangers on (you must of noticed, the ones who sing the loudest at carol concerts are within 6 foot of the old man).

There's a point. Is being religious a criteria for promotion in the officer core? Are there any aetheist commanders or captains driving ships???

Norm is that you

Nutty

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
HFQueen said:
Is being religious a criteria for promotion in the officer core? Are there any aetheist commanders or captains driving ships???

Yes, there are a few (don’t know numbers) atheists driving ships and submarines. They still have to follow articles of war (I think that’s where it’s laid down) and provide religious services for the crew (submarines don’t routinely carry a bish).

OSLO

War Hero
x4nd said:
HFQueen said:
Is being religious a criteria for promotion in the officer core? Are there any aetheist commanders or captains driving ships???

Yes, there are a few (don’t know numbers) atheists driving ships and submarines. They still have to follow articles of war (I think that’s where it’s laid down) and provide religious services for the crew (submarines don’t routinely carry a bish).

Can't see a problem with that - freedom of religion, and all that. If someone on their ship wants a religious service, let them have one. I can't imagine an atheist CO running it - that would insult the CO and the "congregation".

War Hero
OSLO said:
Can't see a problem with that - freedom of religion, and all that. If someone on their ship wants a religious service, let them have one. I can't imagine an atheist CO running it - that would insult the CO and the "congregation".

If s/he can't find someone else to do it, then they have to conduct it themselves. Equally you're not supposed to order someone to do it, although it becomes the usual offer you can't refuse.

Even the but sir, I'm not Christian response doesn't always work there...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
x4nd said:
HFQueen said:

Yes, there are a few (don’t know numbers) atheists driving ships and submarines. They still have to follow articles of war (I think that’s where it’s laid down) and provide religious services for the crew

One of the things that surprised me greatly during the Falklands conflict was the amount of agnostics & atheists (myself included) that suddenly felt compelled to attend "church" and admitted to praying when the raids were inbound, particularly after the ship had been hit previously- you start to realise you ain't immortal. I s'pose it's a bit like when we get older, we're inclined to cover all options "just in case". It was equally as surprising how many reformed smokers started to smoke again & how many non-smokers stated that they wished they did smoke!

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Karma said:
x4nd said:
and provide religious services for the crew

Isn't it a Christian service? Which brings us back to square one again.

The services are “inter denominational†(sorry if spelt incorrectly), but generally have their roots in the Christian faith.

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Karma said:
OSLO said:

If s/he can't find someone else to do it, then they have to conduct it themselves. Equally you're not supposed to order someone to do it, although it becomes the usual offer you can't refuse.

Even the but sir, I'm not Christian response doesn't always work there...

It is his/her remit to provide a service, either by conducting it themselves or appointing (always a volunteer :angel12: :thumright: ) a church officer (not always an officer).

:dwarf:

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Ninja_Stoker said:
One of the things that surprised me greatly during the Falklands conflict was the amount of agnostics & atheists (myself included) that suddenly felt compelled to attend "church" and admitted to praying when the raids were inbound, particularly after the ship had been hit previously- you start to realise you ain't immortal. I s'pose it's a bit like when we get older, we're inclined to cover all options "just in case". It was equally as surprising how many reformed smokers started to smoke again & how many non-smokers stated that they wished they did smoke!

It’s always amazed me that when the “shi(f)t hits the fan†how many people suddenly find religion and pray to a god that they previously denied ever existing. Glimpsing your own mortality often brings life to a sharp focus.

:dwarf:

Ninja_Stoker said:
x4nd said:
HFQueen said:

Yes, there are a few (don’t know numbers) atheists driving ships and submarines. They still have to follow articles of war (I think that’s where it’s laid down) and provide religious services for the crew

Couldn't agree more, Telic 1, 2 hours notice to Action, quick church service (normal attendees about 8) absolutely packed with whole ships company just about. It's funny how people change when the rounds start going down but I suppose it's a natural reaction to a un-natural situation.

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
God and the soldier we alike adore,
But each in time of danger, not before;
The danger passed, each is alike requited -
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.