End to careening ships in sight.

Whilst wandering round t'interweb I came across this which may be of interest.;

Slime ships ahoy! A vessel that oozes a continual slick layer of slime from its hull could shed barnacles and other marine life forms, and possibly cut its fuel consumption by up to 20 percent.

Such a novel idea tackles the problem of removing marine plants, barnacles and tube worms from ship hulls every year, lest the buildup cut into both speed and fuel efficiency. The fuel savings in particular may look especially tempting for the U.S. Department of Defense, which has backed the project and previously invested in hull-cleaning bots.
Source: Popsci

Good idea I thought and it'll stop the embarassment of things like the HMS Nottingham 'careening ship' problem...

<pongo exeunts stage left>

I can see the environmentalist outrage bus warming up already. Didn't the mob trial a new paint not so long back to achieve the same? . The paint was a light blue IIRC

WreckerL said:
I can see the environmentalist outrage bus warming up already. Didn't the mob trial a new paint not so long back to achieve the same? . The paint was a light blue IIRC
Exeter used that 'Blue' in the 70-80's I seem to recall......Seems to have been an ongoing quest. Probably a spin-off from the offshore oil/gas industries

Exeter was coated at final docking, before acceptance, in April 1980.
A parallel trial, with the standard of the day coating, was run with Southampton

As I remember it, EXETER’s blue bottom was a continually eroding co polymer paint that shed weed and crustaceans with the paint. The earlier tin rich paints were turning the marine life nancy.

The newest technology is currently under ARK ROYAL. http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...nt-cuts-navy-carbon-footprint-51140-24649566/

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has called in International Paint for more of its fuel saving, high-tech paint, which was developed at the Akzo Nobel-owned plant in Gateshead.

The Navy’s flagship HMS Ark Royal – which was originally built on Tyneside – has had her hull coated in the latest ‘foul release’ paint, which is expected to help the vessel reduce fuel consumption by around 9%.

The 20,600ton Invincible Class aircraft carrier was painted at Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

International Paint’s Intersleek 900 has been applied to a range of naval vessels including a Type 42 destroyer, six minesweepers, three new T45 destroyers, a helicopter carrier, a landing ship and a frigate.
Also; http://www.international-marine.com/Literature/Intersleek 900.pdf

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
As I remember it, EXETER’s blue bottom was a continually eroding co polymer paint that shed weed and crustaceans with the paint. The earlier tin rich paints were turning the marine life nancy.

The newest technology is currently under ARK ROYAL. http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...nt-cuts-navy-carbon-footprint-51140-24649566/

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has called in International Paint for more of its fuel saving, high-tech paint, which was developed at the Akzo Nobel-owned plant in Gateshead.

The Navy’s flagship HMS Ark Royal – which was originally built on Tyneside – has had her hull coated in the latest ‘foul release’ paint, which is expected to help the vessel reduce fuel consumption by around 9%.

The 20,600ton Invincible Class aircraft carrier was painted at Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

International Paint’s Intersleek 900 has been applied to a range of naval vessels including a Type 42 destroyer, six minesweepers, three new T45 destroyers, a helicopter carrier, a landing ship and a frigate.
Also; http://www.international-marine.com/Literature/Intersleek 900.pdf
Exeter's first commish, through the Falklands saw her sporting the blue bottom. It was a self polishing co-polymer paint, only available at time of application in light green, plum pink and light blue because of it's commercial stock. When we charged at the Baltic contingent coming through the Skaggerak in 1981 with Jeremy Dreyer in his dad's wartime duffel and black destroyer Captain's hat, the Soviets peeled off and came for a closer look. Then their Sverdlov broke down and we spent three days harrassing it off Orkney.

*misty eyed*

levers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Miscellaneous 0
The_Black_Pig Miscellaneous 1
BusterQuin Nautical Jokes 0