End of the Steward branch.

Well fellas. I've posted this here, not sure if it's the best place for it, but I'm sure some shit will be slung. Please feel free to move it if you wish.
Chef's to become Stewards. That should help with Chef's recruiting and retention. Well done pusser. Thoughts?

Stewards and chefs are in the same watchbill alongside on boats so no change there.
I've said before that we should adopt the US system. At sea they rotate around between cooking and stewarding.
as stewards are planesmen on boats I'm don't know how they'll sort that out.

Stewards and chefs are in the same watchbill alongside on boats so no change there.
I've said before that we should adopt the US system. At sea they rotate around between cooking and stewarding.
as stewards are planesmen on boats I'm don't know how they'll sort that out.
But they don't cook alongside. They just warm shit up.

Legend has it that the best place to hear the latest buzz was the NAFFI queue. Perhaps in GS this was true but in boats it was either from the Steward or the WT shack. The WT shack lads could be a bit Secret Squirrel but the Steward was a mine of yet to be announced activities. They will be missed and not just in the Wardroom.;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Huge respect for the Steward Branch & all they bring to the party, wirh regard qualifications
and skills but....

How the fcuk they existed as a branch in isolation beyond 1939 is completely beyond me. The rest of UK ditched servants after WW1. Truth is, British people don't want to work in the service industry whereas it is considered a prestige occupation in many European countries.

My perception is that possibly the perceived postwar collapse of "class system" in UK and the demise of employment opportunities in the service industry put paid to butler's, batmen, servants, waiters/waitresses etc. working in big houses owned by legalised drug barons and slavers who called themselves merchants.

But...imagine how souless a pub would be if it dispensed pints from a vending machine.

As a recruiter for 15 years, the number of people I personally processed for entry? About 1000. Stewards? Nil.

Seadog

War Hero
There was a time not so long ago when - I sensed - the RN was a little embarrassed at the lack of diversity among the stewards.

Do you like being a steward?

How do you know I’m a steward, I’m in civvies?

You’re blick.