End of HMS SULTAN - END OF AN ERA

Seadog

War Hero
matelowkryptonite wailed
I never intended to move anywhere else unless it's Cyprus/Gib, Plymouth

Needs of the Service. It's nice to get your preference but it isn't always possible, even if Portsmouth doesn't close. You may even get put on a ship and travel far (if there are any left and we can spare the fuel). Deployments, watch-keeping, weekend duties, non preference postings, OST, having to travel for leave or a weekend; you were warned about this, weren't you?

I notice you are prepared to move, just not to Plymouth. So if there was such a thing as a Gib based ship you'd move your family there? When you deploy, your missus is further away from the rest of her family and friends than she'd be in Plymouth.

we would rather leave and work on commercial liners?

Married accompanied are they? Much call for WEAs just out of training or do you fancy being a hairdresser?

Sounds a bit teddy out the pram to me. I want I want i want and if I don't get..........

It's matelot.

D

Deleted 493

I have watched this sorry mess developing from the early days. I was recently employed within the empire at Sultan and witnessed the Metrix vs MC3 war in it’s entirety, including a great deal of ‘making the mould fit the jelly’ when it came to subscribing to the tri-service training mythology. Whilst it seems a great idea to those fabulous economic advisors who appear to be at the epicentre of our woes, the truth is practically obvious and many head-shakers and disillusioneds predict the next twenty years to be filled with all sorts of labour pains as this and doubtless successive governments strive toward creating an unholy monster of a cheap, barely capable, civvy-run training emporium completely detached from any traditional defence-based nuclei. If it’s bad enough having Abbey Wood out on a geographical limb, imagine the splendour of seeding our clankies in Wales, of all places … nestled snugly in with REME and Crab philosophy and away from the sights and sounds of a Royal (ahem!) Dockyard. Opposers to my point of view may ask what the difference is. I say get yourself in a uniform, serve your country, feel the deflating esprit de corps and watch the chaos you are sowing before you cast such ill-conceived judgements. Do you really believe that your future vision of twenty years hence, a non-ex-service taught ET(ME) bred in a distant, miasmic purple college will quickly adopt to the fleet, bereft of the front-end role models that the brown overalled PO Stokers who created this generation of struggling pragmatists and achievers? If the answer is ‘yes’, then I would like to see your working out, please. Almost four hundred years of red, sky blue and royal blue can’t be squeezed from a toothpaste tube overnight. And if it’s a canny way of ridding the ranks of reactionary old gits like me, then well done. Don’t forget who kept your shores Commie-free and your safe seat in the capital for this long. As the whole thing collapses and your preferred bidder wobbles for more money from the taxpayer (as is the norm for PFI horseshit), your 20k Navy with it’s ‘My Little Warships’ may not be available to bail you out because you may just have to (ahem, again!) ‘mothball’ a couple of more frigates, just to save face in the tail-end.

Gosport itself, the place where I own a house, has a gigantically backwards-facing attitude to relieving its transport woes – eternally fixated on the crushingly expensive, utterly unworkable and downright short-sighted Light Rapid Transport, something that greatly appeals to the liberals but is anathema to the pragmatists. Currently, sixty thousand drivers crawl along the A32 every day at an average speed of seven miles an hour. That is one huge ecological burden and one which completely whangs it’s way over the head of the gleeful, greedy bastards who are lining the Sultan site up for more houses or a business park. I wrote to Viggers recently with a solution … get this. Install a roundabout at the Frater traffic lights and hang a right dual carriageway past Fort Elson, up an embankment and over a high level road-bridge across Upper Portsmouth Harbour, joining the M275 on the Tipner peninsula by way of an under-motorway roundabout that also connects through to the A3 by the Mountbatten Centre. Advantages? Well, pretty obvious really. All eastbound traffic out of Gosport uses this road and thereby avoids the nightmare of convergence at Town Quay, Fareham. All westbound goes on up to Fareham. Pompey to Gosport in ten to fifteen minutes. I also sent it to the South East Regional Development Agency (or summat like that) who slung it out (well, those of which replied to me, anyway (i.e. two of them) It’s nice to know they will be responsive and investigate all avenues and not traipse public funding through another stab at some toytown railway under the harbour, isn’t it?

But what does it matter, anyway? The dockyard cowers under the Chancellor’s axe, Sultan is doomed and that just leaves Collingwood to maintain the presence in the spiritual home of the Royal Navy. Four hundred years pissed copiously down the pan. And for me, nearly thirty years of learning at, teaching at, living in, running Brickwoods for, playing and coaching football for the home of Marine Engineers. Similarly micturated. I suppose nothing is sacred these days for Jack, is it? ‘Finest Armed Forces in the World’? Do you scumbags really mean that?

Thanks Tony. I hope your next shit is a hedgehog.

Levers

Levers - nicely put, could not have said it better and you are 100% correct. I've had several stints in Sultan: trainee, SR instructor, Staff Officer - last stint was 4 years long. I'm now at the sharpish end in Devonport. The transition from Marine Engineering School (delivering well trained ME's to the Fleet, with some sort of naval/ military ethos) to Technical Training School (which happens to have some uniformed personnel in it) has been happening for a while. The "new dawn" will only make things worse, we end up with a tri-service Technical Training School, with not much military ethos and zero naval ethos. All that will happen is that the training burden at the waterfront will increase. As for the roads, well perhaps the business park owners may have some influence - wouldn't hold your breath though.

Levers_Aligned said:
Currently, sixty thousand drivers crawl along the A32 every day at an average speed of seven miles an hour
Ah! nostalgia, I remember it well. I now do very similar on the A367 most mornings but at least I can admire the scenery.

The point about esprit de corp and Service ethos is constantly disregarded by these bright young things who now afflict every aspect of our daily lives. That is all the more galling for the Senior Service. The Viscount Trenchard was insistent that the RAF should build its own ethos from the first day of its inception. He recognised that a Service without its own identity is not a Service. The whole business of “jointery” is driving every Service in that direction, though. The argument, of course, that it encourages greater understanding between the Services; but does it? In my albeit limited experience, it seems to generate friction hidden under a layer of banter.

St Athan has lots of land to make the Army feel at home and, similarly, the Air Force will still have the occasional flying machine whistling round them. Are those ornamental lakes intended to appeal to the Navy?

chieftiff

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Levers_Aligned said:
Currently, sixty thousand drivers crawl along the A32 every day at an average speed of seven miles an hour
Ah! nostalgia, I remember it well. I now do very similar on the A367 most mornings but at least I can admire the scenery.

The point about esprit de corp and Service ethos is constantly disregarded by these bright young things who now afflict every aspect of our daily lives. That is all the more galling for the Senior Service. The Viscount Trenchard was insistent that the RAF should build its own ethos from the first day of its inception. He recognised that a Service without its own identity is not a Service. The whole business of “jointery” is driving every Service in that direction, though. The argument, of course, that it encourages greater understanding between the Services; but does it? In my albeit limited experience, it seems to generate friction hidden under a layer of banter.

St Athan has lots of land to make the Army feel at home and, similarly, the Air Force will still have the occasional flying machine whistling round them. Are those ornamental lakes intended to appeal to the Navy?

You are of course absolutely right, as is Levers but I fear you are wasting your breath, Esprit de Corp doesn't exist in any management consultants' vocabulary neither do tradition and pride!: cohesion, leadership (pah!), "team"building etc are all a part of the managers financially offsetable armoury.

I think you'll find there is a lot of jobs outside of training, I believe you wouldn't make such comments if i was to have put WEM. Since i've been crash drafted four times now i'd say the navy would still rather employ Artificers as the ET branch (even at leading hand level) is dire. Thanks

matelowkryptonite said:
I think you'll find there is a lot of jobs outside of training, I believe you wouldn't make such comments if i was to have put WEM. Since i've been crash drafted four times now i'd say the navy would still rather employ Artificers as the ET branch (even at leading hand level) is dire. Thanks

Fcuking hell it took over two years to come back with that! No wonder you keep getting crash drafted trigger.

And you still can't spell MATELOT.

angry_mac

War Hero
Is it really that sad, As a WE, Ive seen the dabbers hijack Collingwood, to the point where I feel a stranger in what use to be our school, although Collingwood was and shall always be an awful place, no matter who resides there. Gosport is a dump only beaten to the title of worst [email protected] by Fareham. I welcome the day when I no longer have to travel to the toilet that is the south coast.
Imagine for the young lads going out in South Wales, and trying to tap up all those comely Welsh lasses, much better than being called a skate bastard, for no other reason then being a bit flush with cash.
Having spent 2 yrs between 03-05 on mech's course do I have any sympathy for those Flagship tossers, many an ex bitter matelot who never wanted to leave his comfort zone, no.
Good riddance to Gosport, hope it diversifies into an open sewer.

Thats what happens when you've been crash drafted back to back.
So you prove my two years of having work.
Yes its spelt wrong but i mean who really cares.....

angry_mac said:
Is it really that sad, As a WE, Ive seen the dabbers hijack Collingwood, to the point where I feel a stranger in what use to be our school, although Collingwood was and shall always be an awful place, no matter who resides there. Gosport is a dump only beaten to the title of worst [email protected] by Fareham. I welcome the day when I no longer have to travel to the toilet that is the south coast.
Imagine for the young lads going out in South Wales, and trying to tap up all those comely Welsh lasses, much better than being called a skate bastard, for no other reason then being a bit flush with cash.
Having spent 2 yrs between 03-05 on mech's course do I have any sympathy for those Flagship tossers, many an ex bitter matelot who never wanted to leave his comfort zone, no.
Well said by the way.

matelowkryptonite said:

So you had to leave Gosport, poor you. Life in a blue one. In the last 9 years I have been drafted to:

Culdrose,
Yeovilton
Cottesmore
Prestwick
2 Guzz ships
3 Pompey ships
Dryad
Collingwood

Thats the needs of the service.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
angry_mac said:

I've reached that day at last. Hours to do are getting few.

matelowkryptonite said:

There are plenty of people that care. It's a word that is and always has been part of the organisation which you represent. It's not so much that you've spelt it wrong, it's the fact that you don't give a sh!t. That to me suggests an attitude that stinks. That, and going by the way you've come on here and dripped about having to do your job as the navy requires, makes me wonder whether you pay any attention to detail when doing your job.

Latest Threads