End of HMS SULTAN - END OF AN ERA

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
Metrix soundbite. The winner of the tri service training contract
"Preparing them for a future they cannot yet imagine."

How can they prepare them for a future that does not exist.

2SL Please rename the fleet air arm, Agusta Westlands Forward as it is now a more accurate title.

copenhagencup said:
Metrix soundbite. The winner of the tri service training contract
"Preparing them for a future they cannot yet imagine."

How can they prepare them for a future that does not exist.

2SL Please rename the fleet air arm, Agusta Westlands Forward as it is now a more accurate title.

It seems a fitting soundbite from the private sector, only too happy to syphon off taxpayers money to line shareholders' pockets! I suspect the 'future they cannot yet imagine' means less rigourous training in less time at higher cost thus requiring expensive consultants to advise the government to pay the consortium more money to do what they should have done in the first place... oooo why am I so cynical??? :evil:

jambosun said:
Gosport is a Tory seat anyway and it will certainly not flop to Labour now. This decision really is a disaster for Gosport. It just goes to show how unjoined up our so called Government is. SULTAN is a first class facility with a great reputation. If it is not used as a military establishment of some sorts it will doubtless become part of the land that fatty Prescott puts houses on. It is impossible to improve the road links into and out of Gosport unless there is some compulsory purchase orders -and that won't happen. So with God knows how many new houses being built the roads will be completely gridlocked. Even worse than now. The idea of a tram to Fareham has been going on for as long as I can remember and gets no further. Top this off with the fact that Haslar is going and there will be no primary hospital care in Gosport. Sooner rather than later people in accidents will die as the ambulances cannot get them to QAs hospital in Cosham because the roads are impassable. It really is a sorry bloody story. Gosport is hardly a wealthy town and this move will just condemn it further. Blair really is twat of the highest order. :mad:

That explains it all, Gordon getting his own back for the removal of submarine refits from Rosyth to perhaps Tory Plymouth.

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
jambosun said:
Gosport is a Tory seat anyway and it will certainly not flop to Labour now. This decision really is a disaster for Gosport. It just goes to show how unjoined up our so called Government is. SULTAN is a first class facility with a great reputation. If it is not used as a military establishment of some sorts it will doubtless become part of the land that fatty Prescott puts houses on. It is impossible to improve the road links into and out of Gosport unless there is some compulsory purchase orders -and that won't happen. So with God knows how many new houses being built the roads will be completely gridlocked. Even worse than now. The idea of a tram to Fareham has been going on for as long as I can remember and gets no further. Top this off with the fact that Haslar is going and there will be no primary hospital care in Gosport. Sooner rather than later people in accidents will die as the ambulances cannot get them to QAs hospital in Cosham because the roads are impassable. It really is a sorry bloody story. Gosport is hardly a wealthy town and this move will just condemn it further. Blair really is twat of the highest order. :mad:

That explains it all, Gordon getting his own back for the removal of submarine refits from Rosyth to perhaps Tory Plymouth.
Not Tory Plymouth Maxi, but Labour, Plymouth Sutton and Devonport both voted for the Bliar

copenhagencup said:
Maxi_77 said:
Not Tory Plymouth Maxi, but Labour, Plymouth Sutton and Devonport both voted for the Bliar

I know, you missed the perhaps bit in my comment. The tories knew they would not win Dunfermline but hope they could get at least some of the Plymouth seats.

Standard_Bearer

Lantern Swinger
More houses for Gosport . Will the estate end up like the former naval estate of Rowner. Rowner is one of the worst council estates in Britain. Bliar should not be closing service establishments but there again the Labour Party has always been anti Armed Services. He wants us to fight all over the world, making him look good, but not giving funds to pay for them. Will he close Collingwood? Will HM Forces be sold off to the highest bidder?

brazenhussy said:
Planners at Gosport Borough Council have 10 years to get a strategy in place before the base is closed and operations transferred to St Athans in Wales.

That's Gosport stuffed then! :roll:

Seadog

War Hero
Brazen Hussey, please provide a source when you are quoting third parties.

Edited to add,

no source or link after three days and several visits.

let me get this right

on the 31st january the civvies at sultan are going on strike, and maybe more afterwards

does this mean no more whinging manking and moaning in the nearby corridors about how good it was in there days

it does

oh bliss

i know that nearly a 1000 jobs are under threat but just the odd day of peace does make up for it.

PS to any disgruntled civvy - sorry but the civvies i work with at Sultan cant half moan - oh yes you can

As well as all the good training work carried out there, SULTAN also helped to preserve part of the site of a piece of Air Force history. In 1916, a certain Major Robert Smith-Barry set up the School of Special Flying on Gosport Aerodrome, the current site of SULTAN. He was the first aviator to create structured flying courses using duel controlled aircraft. The school pioneered the voice communication between instructor and pupil via a simple stethoscope style voice tube. To this day it's still known as the Gosport Tube. The training methods developed in Gosport were absorbed within the Central Flying School on the formation of the RAF in 1918. Those training methods were adopted by almost every other Air Force in the world.

I see all this collocation and, no doubt, cross Service standardisation as steps closer to that failed Canadian experiment. Even the titles we now use seem to be preparing us for it. Training is one part and the DLO is the other. Try and find the word Navy in any of its formations and the closest you will get is Fleet and the all enveloping Maritime. Sorry; pet paranoia and incipient rant now under control.

I am currently based in Portsmouth and have just gotten married to a local girl my attitude along with a lot of other LWEA's is if we and our families are forced to move to Plymouth we would rather leave and work on commercial liners? I never intended to move anywhere else unless it's Cyprus/Gib, Plymouth ain't that sunny. This is going to be a retention nightmare, the same one they encountered when they stopped recruiting. So again the gapped billets will continue to flourish and the hard pressed employee will be even more hard pressed. Just my two pence worth

Latest Threads