Employers

mndc

Midshipman
Just a quick question as I am unsure of my position. I have been told by my employer that they will not allow me to join the RNR. I work in the Merchant Navy as an Officer cadet and so find this quite odd. The reason they have given is that I may be called up. I have tried to explain that because I am away at sea a lot and have to attend college when not at sea it is unlikely I would be fully trained within the three years my cadetship lasts. Are employers allowed to refuse to allow me to join? If so is there anything I can do to persuade them?

Thank you

Rob

mndc said:
Just a quick question as I am unsure of my position. I have been told by my employer that they will not allow me to join the RNR. I work in the Merchant Navy as an Officer cadet and so find this quite odd. The reason they have given is that I may be called up. I have tried to explain that because I am away at sea a lot and have to attend college when not at sea it is unlikely I would be fully trained within the three years my cadetship lasts. Are employers allowed to refuse to allow me to join? If so is there anything I can do to persuade them?

Thank you

Rob
Employers are well within the rights to refuse to let you join. They would also be within their rights, were you an existing member of the RNR and were seeking employment with them, to make any job offer conditionals upon you resigning from the RNR. I am in a reserved occupation (public sector) but was allowed to remain both in the ROC and once disbanded, join the RNXS, on the understandng that if called out I could lose my job with no redress. I agreed to this. Mind you, we didn't face the current situation of having to fill-in for the Regulars.

forever_a_subby

Midshipman
Did you know that potential recruits now have to take their application form to their boss for a signature to say "Yes you can join"? We can barely get people through the door as it is without this hurdle.

forever_a_subby said:
Did you know that potential recruits now have to take their application form to their boss for a signature to say "Yes you can join"? We can barely get people through the door as it is without this hurdle.
Treating adults like children! When I joined the ROC back in 1979 I had to get my parents to sign a form granting their permission for me to be ruffed up and ordered about by other adults :wink:, but I was 16 then. It's a bit embarassing having to do so again as an adult! :?

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
Who are your employers? They should be named and shamed! Once upon a time proper shipping companies were pleased to let their people go. It was good training and the Blue Ensign looked good on the back of their ships.
On the plus side don't join. in the course of time become the Captain of something like QM2 and they will make you an Honourary Captain RNR!
Or if you would rather, sail round the world single handed, and you can be a Honourary Lieutenant Commander. (Sorry, thats girls only. Robin K-J was a real one.)

mndc said:

Thank you

Rob
You have to see it from their point of view, you are not much use to them if you are a mate on a ship and then get called up to go and play sailor are you? Your real job will be more important anyway, if you are that bothered, don't go into the merch and join the regular RN then you get the best of both worlds training wise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Employers do not have to report gender pay gaps MoD News 1
MoD_RSS COVID-19 Guidance: Information for NI Businesses & Employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Top 100 Apprenticeship Employers league table launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for employees, employers and businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Naming employers who fail to pay minimum wage to be resumed under revamped rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helping employers increase socio-economic diversity and inclusion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army and RAF listed as top 100 social mobility employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government urges employers to help transform sick pay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100 employers awarded for supporting the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: North Wales Employers’ Pledge Support to UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: ESFA calls on small and medium sized apprenticeship employers and supporting training providers to help develop the apprenticeship service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More support to help employers offer T Level industry placements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: All employers in England to have better access to buy high quality apprenticeships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Growing demand for Disability Confident employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Private sector employers report second year of gender pay gap data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Top Employers to help all primary schools offer careers education to pupils MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New leader board to celebrate top apprenticeship employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New guidance to help employers close gender pay gap MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns: “This deal delivers the certainty that Welsh businesses and employers need, protecting jobs and livelihoods.” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GLD named one of UK’s Best Employers for Race MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Britain’s top armed forces-friendly employers honoured MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Britain’s top armed forces-friendly employers honoured MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 50 employers awarded gold for supporting the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl ranked in the Top 100 employers for school leavers...again! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary and Prince Harry Award Gold to Supportive Employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 33 employers awarded gold for supporting the Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Employers supporting Armed Forces strike gold with Prince William MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Employers get gold for their support for the Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Prime Minister thanks employers supporting the Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Employers get gold for supporting the Armed Forces MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Employers and Reservists celebrate Reserves Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Employers take gold for their support of UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
D Employers address UPO 15
soleil "UK Employers Receive Reservist Challenge" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF named in Top 50 Employers for Women list MoD News 7
MoD_RSS Employers have their say on MOD reservists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Employers have their say on MOD reservists MoD News 0
C employers adress? Finance & Pensions 11
soleil "Navy's Gay-Friendly Efforts Make It One Of Britain's Top 100 Employers" Current Affairs 61