emergency surface

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by ET(MESM)whogivesafeck, Feb 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. first one didnt work this 1's better

2. Jesus Christ - I didn't realize they rise that fast!

I bet your bloody hearts in your mouth! :shock:

3. from what i was told at drake doing smq they blow all ballast tanks pull back on the helm and go as fast as they can

4. Okay, I have no idea what that means - Does that mean Submarines are out for me?

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

6. was definitely a brit sub saw the clip at drake the wrecker teaching us had it he told us which boat it was but cant remember the name

7. You have not seen a brit sub going through the bottom of a trawler, that honour belongs to the USS GREENEVILLE (as seen on the other reply). If a brit sub has gone through a trawler it will not be on a video clip, I can assure you. A T Boat had an incident with a trawler (ANTARES) a few years ago and resulted in a rather well publicised court martial.
    As for an emergency surface, it's known as "blow & go" - I did one for real a few years ago from ****+ feet on a boat only meant to go to *** feet!!

8. What happens if a boat dives deeper than it is supposed to? Does it put the hull in danger of breaking up due to the pressure?

9. the wrecker at drake told us it was? cant see why he would lie about it it less he was informed wrong

10. Surfacing in emergency on UK s/m's is not generally as dramatic
    as that portrayed by our American bretheren! I experienced quite a
    few of 'em and the angle/speed was never virtually straight up!
    (looks good though...) It would probably cause a few broken
    limbs among the crew if they were not properly prepared for it and
    I would imagine quite a bit of stuff careering around the inside of the
    boat - which would'nt help matters either. If it was necessary to
    get topside in a rush then I would be all for it....but in comparison
    to an Emergency Surface for Trouser Crapping delight...there's
    nothing more 'orrible than a nuke (V/T boat) on the surface, plodding
    along in a Storm Force 10!. You know its ferkin' ruffers when the boat
    is rolling and rocking at Periscope Depth....
    "D'you hear there - the submarine is about to run shut down...."
    (Ring any bells?)

11. All is fine untill it reaches "crush depth" then it will implode like a crushed tin can!Do a google for Thresher,there are some pics of it showing crush damage.

12. All the UK crush trials indicated that at 'crush' there was a single point of hull failure, typically the for'd torpedo loading hatch on for example and S boat.

Muc of the Thresher damage was attributed to the impact of a quite large SSN fullof water hitting the bottom at some speed not the actual 'crush'.

13. Well in my day which was a few years ago, the principle was blow everything get up angle on and full ahead in the power mode you were in.

Our transatlantic cousins got the habit of the high exit angle from the 'airless surface airless start'procedures on their old WW2 fleet boats.

14. Agreed Maxi but there are some signs of crush damage and thats what i was getting at rather than it being the cause of the demise of the Thresher.

15. Dunkers

What happens when you reach crush depth, is that some point of the pressure hull implodes into the boat. As Maxi says on trials conducted to date the weak spot appears to be the torpedo loading hatch. Of course that is the largest opening in the pressure hull so it comes as no surprise.

At that point and depth the water enters so fast, not like the DC teacher used to train RN personal. The question now is only do I drown, am I crushed to death by the sudden huge increase in pressure or do I burn to death by the rapid increase in temperature as the air is compressed, i.e. like bike pump gets hot. What ever you are brown bread.

A, P or O boat had a safe diving depth when new of about 900 feet. could possibly have made it down to about 1500 feet before collapso-mundo. Crush depth of Nukes I have no idea. A Russian Alpha Class is supose to have a diving depth of 3000 metres.

Nutty

Nutty

16. So basically don't go near the danger depth? :shock:

I've been reading the Royal Navy website about the Submarines and I've gathered some good knowledge!!!

I didn't know the Nuclear Power lasts forever - How the hell does that work? - Don't answer, that's purely rhetorical... I'm going to have a job of understanding the Engineering training should I get in never mind Nuclear Power! :???:

17. Nuclear power does not last forever but it generally does last for the life of the boat - modern nuclear reactors can go for about 30 years without replacement.

Modern nuclear boats can dive to "in excess of 800m" according to the RN website but the maximum depth is classified.

I suppose that if you were in a submarine and the hull cracked then death would happen so fast that you wouldn't know about it.

18. The emergency surface angle for an O Boat was 20 degrees bow up. Any steeper and gravity would only slow you down. The boat did not leap spectacularly from the water ( so I've been told, only ever saw this from the inside :smile: ) but did tend to list heavily as the water took time to drain from the fin.

I don't believe in a 'normal' emergency surface that the Yanks leap put of the water either, but on occasion lay on a special performance for the cameras.