EMB

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by EMB, Sep 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. EMB

EMB Midshipman

I am waiting for an enlistment date for air craft handler. I have passed RT, etc and my recruiter applied in August - does anyone have any ideas?

2. Best off phoning your afco, ninja is a recruiter and can probably give you a general idea of wait times (although theyre not usually released anymore so he may not). There are loads of variables involved anyway in predicting individuals wait times so yeah give them a call is your best bet.

3. EMB

EMB Midshipman

Sadly she has said 2 years, but said it could easily be cut so was just trying to find out if others were getting told the same thing and then having an enlistment date much sooner. Thank you for your reply though

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated above, I'd be inclined to believe my AFCO more than a random punt on an unofficial forum by someone who doesn't know your specific circumstances. Whether you believe your AFCO is up to you, but if it's not what you want to hear, asking on here won't alter it.

Last year there was nearly a four year wait from test to entry for NA(AH) but that wait has reduced substantially, by about half, so rather than be overly optimistic or bring you crashing down to earth with a wildly inaccurate guess, pick up the telephone.

5. The dates are changing all of fhe time, when i booked my interview the wait was 24 months, a few days later when i passed it the wait had rised to 30 months; afco's from what i gather give as accurate idea as possible but where they are always changing etc they prepare you for all eventualities ie) fall in wait times and a rise in them. Mine said to keep the fitness up so i was prepared but it will be unlikely to fall, sucks but they will keep you updated when they hear something and doesn't hurt to phone now and then to see. Not sure how many potential na(ah) are on here as it is a small branch (i think?!) but you never know someone might be along :)

6. EMB

EMB Midshipman

Thank you, I am in regular touch with my AFCO so will just bide time for now.

7. Hope the wait goes quickly for you, i keep wishing time away but then feel guilty as time passes too fast anyway but still... Haha

8. Ninja_Stoker

Cancellations do occur quite frequently in some branches.

On Friday I had to ring a guy who was expecting to join in June next year as a Writer, to offer an earlier entry date - he's now joining 22nd Sept. Earlier this morning I rang another applicant expecting to join next March-June as an AET - he's now joining 6th October.

9. Bet they were over the moon, must be nice to be the bearer of good news :D i haven't received a date at all yet, if he was a Writer with a June date i take it i would know by now if i was on that one :( boo hoo etc.

10. EMB

EMB Midshipman

Thank you. I will maintain fitness levels etc and hopefully I too will have that welcome call in the future.

11. EMB

EMB Midshipman

Hope to hear you have your date very soon Rachelthree :)

12. Ninja_Stoker

Yep it's rather fun ringing them up about 07:00 so Mum drags them out of bed, bollocking them for not being up and out on a run to keep their fitness-up, bawling them out to get their hair cut and then saying, "By the way, you join in a couple of weeks", then bollocking them again for calling you "mate". Job satisfaction at its best. ;-P

13. EMB

EMB Midshipman

Aah sooo funny, but also what a fab way to be woken up :)

14. Had the pleasure of dragging my eldest out of bed when he got the call, also had the pleasure, when I got a phone call re-calling me off leave, then realising, during the call, that it was my son they were recalling, not me. Oh how I enjoyed passing that one on :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks, you too! :) it ain't neccessarily the wait as i enjoy my job now and living at home again can save some pennies up, it is the not knowing and so not being able to plan that is a 'mare; but i know that as soon as my ca knows anything they will let me know! Haha ninja that does sound satisfying- bet they were buzzinnng though.

16. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, they're usually buzzing so much, they usually don't even register the humour in the standard witty retort:
    "Mate? MATE?" [Octave higher]"You'll be saying 'bollocks' to the Pope, next".

• Like Like x 1
  17. Haha brilliant! :D i am always worried as well that i will miss the call and they will think i ain't interested and remove my application :( however luckily i am hoping that is unlikely to happen

18. Ninja_Stoker

You`d be surprised how many miss that call by not keeping the AFCO informed when they change mobile & home phone numbers.

19. They have my home phone and mobile but i am out the house all day at work and can't have my mobile on me- but hopefully they would leave a message...one hopes anyway otherwise wahhh!

20. Must be a wind up, surely we have no aircraft left to "handle"