Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Captain_Jacks, Nov 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is it me or is the unit suddenly just found out what external email is for

I must be receiveing at least 20 different emails from the unit each week

Is this a new cunning plan to bombard us with info so we can no longer complain?

I think it is a good idea myself at least we are getting told info for a change

2. The best thing about emails and correspondence is that you can email them back----------so when you ask something they can't say they never recieved it-- or dodge the answer!!
    Hardest thing ever is to get people to put things in writing cos it means you can wave the email at them and say well you said this :lol: :lol:

Works wonders emailing complaints to councils etc aswell.
  3. I agree that its a good thing but i just wish our lot would realise that you can set up group addresses. I'm getting a little pee'd off with getting the joining instructions for one person who's attending a course in faslane. along with the other 100 people in our unit.

Just send it to the person or branch its intended for.
  4. one good thing though is that you can now get to see who get off on the jollies.

and it aint me!!!!! :(
  5. Ours have been using email for at least a year now to very good effect, its well organised and specific to you with group addresses. Loads of mundane info which would have wasted valuable time on drill night are now emailed in advance

Drill Night orders, Rig of the day, Training opportunities all get emailed out as soon as they appear.

Alot of it is to do with the switched on PSI's we are currently blessed with.
  6. Anyone on here from Caroline?
  7. our unit have been using it but results are mixed. i have missed certain email because they bounced back from my account. if they are going to use this system it must be better: i. e. opening the mail registers with the sender, indicating receipt, like the rest of the world does. :wink:
  8. No, But I know a man who Is. What you after?
  9. Do you really expect us to believe the Computer System stays on-line long enough to send 20 e-mails?-Come on, we're dumb but not stupid! :twisted:
  10. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Is she sweet???
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bdum tish! :lol:
  12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

DII = Does It Intermittently?
  13. We had a brand new IT suit installed 18 months ago and one by one the PC's have all been FUBAR. Now that JPA is/has come in its been discovered that they arent compatable with JPA and are now in the process of all being replaced, everything inc cabling. Surley they knew about JPA 18 months ago???
  14. the emails do work!!! well the one PC in the ships office that can connect to the outside world.

My computer in my office in the unit takes 20mins just to power up (hand crank, as still waiting form my steam driven upgrade) and then 20 mins to power back down, 5 mins per click into an email

and people wonder why we get very little work done in the unit

Give me access to the info externally and i could get work done, however, as i need a signed release form signed by the Queen, PP, Chick and everyone who has 4 rigs or more on their sleeve....

I have to do most of my work now in my spare time just to keep up

lets go back to the old days of no computers (we are in Unit!!