Email warning

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Waspie, Dec 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had the American IRS trying to give me money following my overpayment of taxes.

emailed from [email protected]

Now being the season of good will I, like everyone would welcome a few dollars to offset the Christmas expense. But, not being a US citizen I smelt a rat!!!

The attached link was mega long, (rat getting smellier). So I bounce the email back, if genuine it will simply disappear. If dodgy, then I will receive a email from 'mail demon' telling me the addy doesn't exist.

Bong!!!! less than 30 seconds - 'mail demon' respond - addy unknown.

So moral,

The African scam is over and hello US fronted scam.

2. Prob defo a 419 scam.

In the past year, the building that I work in , has had a few visitors clutching emails purporting to be from HM Revenue & Customs, advising that a (generally substantial) amount of money has been found to belong to them (inhertance/tax refund etc), and that on payment of X amount - usually substantial, and presenting themselves to the office, with the necessary email documentation and identification, the funds will be handed over.

Even the 'Lottery Fund' has been involved.

One came from Poland, and one complete family even came from Argentina .. ??
    My own sister was almost scammed by a 'Ghaniain, of US citizenship, living in LA, and buying diamonds from Africa for jewellery making'.. suffice it to say I put her in the picture!
  3. I think there should be a thread 'without comment' where scams can be copied and posted.
  4. It's generally not a good idea to reply to sent spam messages. Some spam mailers use exhaustive lists of different combinations of letters and numbers to send mail to in the hope that some of them are real addresses. If you reply to these messages you get put on the "known address" list and will find yourself getting even more spam. The best thing to do, even if the address looks dodgy, is just to delete the message. If the message seems to come from a company you know (e.g. bank/sales magazine etc.) there are usually e-mail addresses on their websites that you can forward so called "phishing" e-mails to.

You also shouldn't post your e-mail address to websites and the like because of e-mail "crawlers" which scour the web, much like google does to create its search engine, looking for addresses. If you do need post an e-mail address in a public place, don't put the @ symbol (use " at " or similar).