Elizabethan Gunnery

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Seaweed, Feb 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

All hands watch Timewatch tonight, 2000 BBC2 for detail on Elizabethan guns and gunnery. Includes, I gather, a firing.

Close up 1959 and report 'Controller closed up, cleared away, Channel set, Subtitles on for the hard of hearing'. No.2 provide slippers and kye (one should be so lucky ..) and thereafter keep silence.

Let's hope they get the drill right - 'Prick the Cartridge!' 'Cartridge pricked!' etc.

2. Best programme on the box tonight :wink: :wink:

3. :wink: I Suppose Tim was on the dive?? :roll: :roll:

4. Ermmmmmm. Looks good. Not so sure they really needed to thrust their piccolos into the cartridges though. Surely they had their wives with them in those days. I means they needed to have someone to do the cooking, mending, dhobying and rollerpinning (what the navy used before irons) of kit, not to mention warming their hammocks before "tallows out" (or candles out for the ossifers) ;)

5. :wink: :wink: just watch where your thrusting that Piccolo STEVE :oops: :sex:

6. "candles out"? Did we have commissioned WRNS in those days?

7. The WRNS were the wimmen folk, to look after the matelots. Really they were just an early form of having a matelots' creche run by a gaggle of sea dads.... but rougher and tougher! ;)

PS: If anyone missed the programme and doesn't have access to the BBC iPlayer, I DVD'd the programme last night. Please PM me if you want to view the programme.

It was very interesting, and there was interesting commentary about Spanish tactics and the ascent of British Naval power from that period. I think we need Elizabeth I to return and become Patron and financier of the modern RN. :)

8. Well I'm off to order a new breastplate, two fingers thick 8O

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is that Polari for something?! 8O :oops: :lol:

10. As a former GA2 I thought I knew a lot about Gunnery as I also spent a long time pistol shooting as a hobby but! Never in a million years would I have expected a musket to have more penetration than a 1911A.
    I have fired the latter a lot and like it, except for it's accuracy, but I thought it would get thu that breastplate ahead of the musket.
    how wrong can you be?