Elizabeth Cross instituted for KIAs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by lgu98141, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has just been announced that Her Majesty has approved the issue of a cross bearing her name to be given to the NOK of those KIA on operations and will be backdated to 1948. They will also be given a scroll. I personally think the cross is appropriate and I'm sure will be appreciated by the families. Long overdue - Well done Liz
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A good idea.

Not entirely dissimilar in concept to the WWI memorial plaques that used to be issued to the families of the bereaved:

3. Is it just me or is the cross not extremely similar to the MC??
  4. The Elizabeth Cross:

5. It may cause offence to the Muslims!!
    Wonder how long it will be before someone objects?
    Just a thought
    Well done Lizzie
  6. A nice idea. My dad has one of those death pennys of my great great grandads.
  7. Wouldn't have thought it would, or should, be of any problem or interest to anyone following Islam, Morse, as we have the Victoria & George Crosses as medals of valour.

But, then, with our pathetic PC system you never know, there could be one who would want oodles of cash for some slight .......... !!

8. I also wonder how non Brits (aka Caribeans et al) will take this bit from the BBC web site:

"The emblem will be made of sterling silver in the shape of a cross and a wreath, and will feature the rose, thistle, shamrock and daffodil to represent soldiers from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales."

Needless to say, this is still good news. It is a shame that there is a demand for them to be issued.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That is a very fair point given the huge input from Commonwealth countries, Dual Nationals & of course Nepal. Then again maybe there is an overseas version.
  10. Clearly longer than it will be before someone shows their insecurity and starts to whinge about something that will only ever exist in their little world of paranoia.
  11. An excellent idea.
    Whilst of course no substitute for a dead loved one it will enable the berieved to at least have some official recognition of their sacrifice.
    Although similar to the MC the ribbon will differentiate for the Medal spotters.
    As for Commonwealth/Ghurka awards the recipients dead will have died in the service of GB Inc and so they're will not be the nedd for Kangaroos, Kiwis and other motifs, IMO.
  12. If my memory serves me correctly? I think this bronze plaque was attached to the gravestone was it not? My great Uncle died of wounds recieved in the great war. The parchment read he died fighting for his King and Country this framed parchment was found in the ruins of the old cottage it was later that the bronze plaque was found inside the frame which now is on display at my brothers house.

A good idea long overdue we can now identify those who have lost loved ones. Perhaps a special march past on Rememberance Sunday of the Queen Elizabeth Cross Association.
  13. :D
  14. Although I have no argument against the new medal, I was irritated by the Truth Central headline; http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...izabethCrossHonoursFamiliesOfFallenTroops.htm

Apart from the all pervasive “troops†label, surely it’s to honour the poor sod that was slotted in the call of duty. The emphasis on families does make it sound like a consolation prize.

15. I dont think the Australians New Zealanders Canadians etal are eligable for this this award. I believe its strictly for the Brits
  16. It is not before time as well.It also looks well .But alas it does not bring them back