Electric wiring?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by seafarer1939, Sep 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I put it here because I can't find the right forum!

Renewing a ceiling pull switch in the bathroom.
    Looking at the existing one it has the usual 3 wires,brown,black green etc but looking at the replacement bought in Homebase it has the three connections but this time it says,Live,Earth and Switched live.
    What on earth is switched live?there are no other connections so I assume it's neutral.
    Any sparks or DIY know this,it's a bit far into town and as someone who had to call the Fire Brigade out when I put the electric kettle on the gas stove,I don't want to do it again. Thanks
  2. In a light switch there is no neutral, the black will be the live feed from the light itself, the red will be the live return back to the light, this ebnables the switch to actually be in the circuit. So black in live, red in switch ;live should work fine.

Im a qualified Electrition (Prior to joining up)
  3. Thanks for that mate,I was going to get a meter to try and check it out but that's cleared it up.Regards
  4. Is the difference being that ceiling lighting is on a ring-main? I was always told be extra careful when dealing with ceiling lights as it was harder to tell if they were live.
  5. Lighting is not on a ring, it is basically whatever the easiest route is to connect up each light to another and then back to the 'fuse board'. Lights can be a pain as people dont always check all the lines in to see if their live, which they could be. So care should be taken, and always work with the power turned off!

Sockets are on a ring main, this is useful as it allows the diameter of the cabling to be smaller and thus reduce cost, whilst still being able to carry the same current through it.
  6. You might be but we needed an electrician :)
  7. Shocking spelling, eh watt, but it seems to be the current trend.

It's re volting when you get pulled on your spelling even when in your own ohm. 8O :oops: :oops:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Probably has a resistance to change but has the capacitance to be changed induced in him. Just generating conversation, I'll motor on ohm now.
  9. Socket to me. :D