Electric vehicle charging points

taffscrivs

War Hero
Will they be a success or an overpriced necessity?
I think we all know that there will be a tax on their use, the Government's revenue is going to drop as less and less oil based fuel is used.
It will either be a charging tax or sky high vehicle excise duty.

Waspie

War Hero
I think we all know that there will be a tax on their use, the Government's revenue is going to drop as less and less oil based fuel is used.
This issue got me to think about Saudi in 100 years time!!!! No demand for oil!!!! No $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s rolling in!!!
Convert the oil rigs into wind farms and charge huge amounts then let our government tax us on the imported electrickery!!!!!
Personally, a nice nuclear reactor in my Mini would work for me!!!

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
When the boffins finally get the chance to work their wizardry and the duffers in Westminster see the light EV’s will be history cos H2 doesn’t need charging points - sadly probably not in my lifetime but you youngsters can look back in thirty years and think - “ well **** me - the old git was right”

Ballistic

War Hero
When the boffins finally get the chance to work their wizardry and the duffers in Westminster see the light EV’s will be history cos H2 doesn’t need charging points - sadly probably not in my lifetime but you youngsters can look back in thirty years and think - “ well **** me - the old git was right”
I've been wondering what's happened to the hydrogen fuel cell.

One of the biggest snags with EVs is the charging time.
Even if a magic wand was waved and all UK vehicles suddenly became EVs and all petrol/diesel pumps were suddenly transformed into charging points, there would be chaos.

Even if charging times were reduced to, say, 10 minutes, there'd still be massive queues at petrol charging stations.

No such problem with hydrogen. Just fill up like you do with petrol and off you go.

I must admit that I haven't looked into it - there's probably a cost factor involved, both in the production of hydrogen fuel cells and the hydrogen itself but hopefully it's being seriously considered as an answer to the lack of charging infrastructure.

One of the biggest snags with EVs is the charging time.
Even if a magic wand was waved and all UK vehicles suddenly became EVs and all petrol/diesel pumps were suddenly transformed into charging points, there would be chaos.

Even if charging times were reduced to, say, 10 minutes, there'd still be massive queues at petrol charging stations.

No such problem with hydrogen. Just fill up like you do with petrol and off you go.

I must admit that I haven't looked into it - there's probably a cost factor involved, both in the production of hydrogen fuel cells and the hydrogen itself but hopefully it's being seriously considered as an answer to the lack of charging infrastructure.
You forgot another biggest snags. The batteries use rare earth minerals in their construction. How long are they going to last being as they are, by definition rare? Hardly enviro friendly having to dig them out of the ground.

There is never a logical solution for people living in terraced houses that have no parking allocated or blocks of flats when it comes to charging EVs.

I would agree that H2 is the way to go, unless they can come up with a disposable battery that is smallish, easily changed out without the need to visit a mechanic, has a decent range (000's not 00's of miles and most importantly is made from readily available materials,

On the tax front, look to all cities having congestion/access charges and pay per mile, tracked by vehicle gps.

Chris P

War Hero
Here's me doing a FOCAP, this is the Victorian Gov method, big problem out here as I see it vast distances so if you're a road tripper you will have some problems out the back of wup wup and some not so far wup wup, in town users not so much of a problem, let the sun charge it for you if you are a solar devotee during the day - but as always the government is going to lose out on taxes unless they do something to recoup the lost revenue, I would consider a Hybrid next time round if and when that happens.

taffscrivs

War Hero
Here's me doing a FOCAP, this is the Victorian Gov method, big problem out here as I see it vast distances so if you're a road tripper you will have some problems out the back of wup wup and some not so far wup wup, in town users not so much of a problem, let the sun charge it for you if you are a solar devotee during the day - but as always the government is going to lose out on taxes unless they do something to recoup the lost revenue, I would consider a Hybrid next time round if and when that happens.

Think carefully about purchasing a hybrid vehicle. My cousin and his partner bought a brand new Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid 3 years ago and recently decided to trade it in for a new one. They went back to the original dealer and were shocked when the sales principal only offered them 1/3rd of the car's original price in a part exchange deal for a new one. Their car has only covered 32,000 miles and is immaculate. His excuse for the piss poor offer? ' We find that people are wary of buying used electric or hybrid vehicles as we can't tell them how much life is left in the battery, neither can we quote for the cost of replacing the battery pack as we don't know, but it would probably be very expensive.' And this is at a Mitsubishi main dealership.
Needless to say my cousin Tim declined the offer and did the sums to discover that with this kind of depreciation, the actual cost of oil fuel they used in 3 years, and servicing the vehicle, it has cost them the equivalent of 34 mpg to run this hybrid car.

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger

There is a company - the only one in the UK currently I think - that produce Hydrogen. It’s just off the M1 outside Sheffield and is about to open a second site just up the road, it currently has what I think is the only hydrogen fuelling station in the UK but they are investing hundreds of millions so someone thinks it’s the future - and JCB are developing hydrogen engines to replace the diesels in all their future kit. It is gaining ground but needs Govt to get behind it big time - once momentum builds then it will be a winner - in my humble opinion

fishhead

War Hero
There is a company - the only one in the UK currently I think - that produce Hydrogen. It’s just off the M1 outside Sheffield and is about to open a second site just up the road, it currently has what I think is the only hydrogen fuelling station in the UK but they are investing hundreds of millions so someone thinks it’s the future - and JCB are developing hydrogen engines to replace the diesels in all their future kit. It is gaining ground but needs Govt to get behind it big time - once momentum builds then it will be a winner - in my humble opinion
I think there are a couple of hydrogen filling stations in London. James May has a hydrogen car and he lives in London.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
We have friends who have a Tesla. They drive from London to Southern Spain in it and the car tells them what route to take and where the next Tesla charging point is! While here the predominately use a Smart car!!

I like the Tesla. But only because I'm childish and it has an option to make the indicator bleepers make a farting noise, which amuses me greatly!

Civvie dad

Badgeman
A large truck hire company I worked for had hydrogen tanks fitted to city link vehicles about 10 in total to trial it , once fitted and up and running the insurance company refused to issue insurance on them stating “ it’s a bomb waiting to go bang” , that was back in 2008 so it’s probably come a long way since then , but I’ve not seen or heard of any heavy vehicle manufacturers with it in the pipeline for general use