Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy?

slim

War Hero
So Let us save the planet and all go electric.
Thinking about a newer car (used) and thinking poasiibly electric.
Seems there are three types.
1 All Electric
2.Self Charging Electric
3. Hybrid Electric.

They all have their advantages and their disadvantages.

Anyone owned one?
Anyone driven one?

Tell the rest of us your experiences

Sumo

War Hero
So Let us save the planet and all go electric.
Thinking about a newer car (used) and thinking poasiibly electric.
Seems there are three types.
1 All Electric
2.Self Charging Electric
3. Hybrid Electric.

They all have their advantages and their disadvantages.

Anyone owned one?
Anyone driven one?

Tell the rest of us your experiences
Old milk float

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
How long does it take to fully charge one? I I wouldn't want to be stuck at a charging point for half an hour or so while the car has an equaliser every time I do a long distance journey.

fishhead

War Hero
I don't have an electric car but from what I have read over a period of time the battery life gets shorter and reaches a point where the car has lost it's advantage. Battery technology will probably get better in time but in the meantime a self charging hybrid seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Allegedly, an ex RN Officer Trevor Jackson, has designed a new battery that is very light, efficient and easy to manufacture and dispose of. It is also good for about 1500 miles, is not rechargeable and can be changed out in about 10 mins.
However as it is completely different than the route being taken by car manufacturers, they are doing their best to stop it going into any known make.

One thing that troubles me about electric cars is that when we have our annual, unexpected bad weather and cars get stuck on motorways or remote locations for many hours, how will occcupants keep warm? Use the battery for heating = no power to move once the roads clear. Alternatively, freeze to death.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
There is an interesting article (can't find it now) about California. They are really pushing electric cars there. Which is fine - until......

Imagine you are in an area of raging forest fires. Imagine you have been told to evacuate. Imagine the car battery is flat. Imagine there is (another) power cut. California has had a lot of fires and power cuts recently.

I'd say you were stuffed.

IMHO there is only one way and that is hybrid and even that isn't as green as a lot of people want us to believe.

I have friends with a Tesla and another with a Leaf.

fishhead

War Hero
It looks as though the "powers that be" are considering giving electric vehicle free gangway to enter city centres while the remainder pay handsomely or are completely excluded. This will encourage many who like to live and work in cities a big encouragement to but an electric vehicle. In my opinion suburban areas are the natural habitat of the electric vehicle while out in the sticks they are only a sensible option if you are a low mileage user.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It looks as though the "powers that be" are considering giving electric vehicle free gangway to enter city centres while the remainder pay handsomely or are completely excluded. This will encourage many who like to live and work in cities a big encouragement to but an electric vehicle. In my opinion suburban areas are the natural habitat of the electric vehicle while out in the sticks they are only a sensible option if you are a low mileage user.
Strange you should say that, last year Mrs Wrecks and I did a tour of Norway where electric vehicles number plates begin with an E. If you have an electric car charging is free as are car parks, there is no road tax either.

All the big towns were full of E plate cars but when you got out into the countryside there were hardly any.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
There has just been a new supermarket complex built 'along the road' which has two green bays with free charging points.

All well and good, but as I understand it the cars all use different plugs. So how do you get around that one? * Also, the Spanish park where they want, when they want for as long as they want, so if you are needing a charge and Paco has parked there for the duration - then tough.

There is another new mall in Granada. In the best possible location - better than the disabled bays - are 6 or 8 green charging bays for electric cars.

Trouble is, they haven't put in the chargers.......

* My mate with the Tesla had 3 phase and a special charging unit wired into his house / garage.

guns1969

War Hero
The electric car thing has not been thought through. Are the Government going to pay for all households to have a charging point?, are they going to (somehow) stop the little scrotes unplugging your car during the night, what is to stop some unscrupulous person charging their car on your charging point. I don't have a driveway and my parking space is 20 yards from my house, and out of sight. I won't be going down the leccy car route anytime soon.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
The issue always was an infrastructure one, matching the the sheer convenience of using the car. Add to that is the compatibility aspect as well, noted above regarding the connections at public charge points.

Most car journeys tend to be under 2 miles (I kid you not). So an electric buggy could handle that. For those who travel further more regularly, especially commuters, then the potential (pun intended) of the car running out of charge if you experience an unexpected problem is going to make a lot of people think twice before committing to it.

The observation about Norway sounds like this is already happening. In an urban environment where there are lots of charge points, no problem. In a rural one where they are still few and far between, people won't take the chance.

Up in Jockland we are facing the possibility of the Council forcing workplaces to pay for providing employee parking. Whether they pass that on the employee is up to them but at a reputed annual fee of ~£400 that would be quite a cost to absorb for the larger ones. To sweeten that pill they could consider making ones equipped with an electric charging point exempt - if it is used. That could encourage the private sector (and possibly public too) to invest in providing the points which in turn reassures the employee they have a definite charge point to use.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
They have fitted a charging point (only one) where I live in Kernow land, it's been there a few years now but I've only ever seen it used once. Most vehicles where I live tend to be 4x4's and tractors, I'd like to see an all electric tractor or combine harvester, the battery pack would be enormous.

Sumo

War Hero
They have fitted a charging point (only one) where I live in Kernow land, it's been there a few years now but I've only ever seen it used once. Most vehicles where I live tend to be 4x4's and tractors, I'd like to see an all electric tractor or combine harvester, the battery pack would be enormous.
Kernow farmers would use an extension lead:)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
We already have a shortfall in the UK's generating capacity, I wonder where all of the electricity is coming from if everybody switches. I can't see anything but a hybrid being of any practical use, as someone has already said, where does the heating come from if stuck in bad conditions. A good idea for urban dwellers not so good for us who live in the countryside.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
My buddy with the Leaf bought it because of all the tax breaks he got/gets - he lives in Ireland. To buy the car he was given a stupid price and incentive for his old car. There is no road tax. He reckons he is getting free or 'negative cost' motoring. Commutes from home into Dublin, then charges at work. Recharging at home costs him pennies as he is more or less off grid. But he is a realist, as soon as 'they' start charging him more (pun intended!) for his motoring, he's out!

Sumo

War Hero
I think the next step as solar panels improve is to turn the roof of lecky cars into a solar panel, once they have free run under the sun plus charge your power cell, job done, I wonder how many oil companies will try to buy and bury that tech?

One will probably forget the dirty costs of making the solar panels and power cells?

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Make electric cars sound like proper cars!
I was damn near run over and killed by an electric car reversing out of a driveway in the ultra quiet state.
Didn't hear a friggin' thing.