Election Campaigning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Nov 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been watching coverage of the US Presidential election campaigning on the news over the last few days (as you can't miss it!) and cannot help but notice that Mr Obama traves around the US in an official Presidential aircraft (Air Force 1).

It strikes me that if this were to happen in this country the current (whoever that may be) PM would be accused of misappropriation of Govt property, and possibly rightly so.

I have been wondering if Obama's party have been paying for the use of that aircraft or is it one of his 'perks' as President (seems a bit unfair to his opponent's party)?

Perhaps some of our members who live on that side of the Pond could enlighten me as to how this works.

Any thoughts anyone?
  2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I've always believed it is the right of the president to use it. As an aside I find it rather amusing that in 48 hours time the most powerful man in the world could be named after a glove.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hasn't that always been the case? As all Presidents (even the ex ones) are under the protection of the Secret Service it must be easier to provide protection if they use Air Force 1 the wannanbe President isn't afforded the same protection detail so he gets to go "Club Class" on a charter. Just a thought ... I have no idea really!
  4. Would have thought that USAF 1. would have all the right buttons in the righ place, rather than him waiting for a plane to take him back to the airport where it's stored, before he can launch WW3 . Cheaper all around to use AF1.
  5. The reason must be a) for his security and b) so that any crisis occurring while he's on the campaign trail can be efectively dealt with without return to Washington.
    Even if he loses the election he is still the Pres until January 2013 so the plane is at his disposal until his term expires.
  6. I don't care how it goes just as long as Obama is re-elected.
  7. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

It seems that in fact some costs - although far less than the total cost of operating the aircraft - are repayable when Air Force One is used on political journeys.

Air Force One Cost - Use During Campaigns

Given the way their system works, very different from ours, I don't really find it surprising that the President uses Air Force One for such journeys and is in fact expected to do so. One way of looking at it is as an extension of the White House.
  8. All that money wasted on campaigning for elections and voting, similarly in this country. I reckon the Coptic Church in Egypt have got it about right. Put the names in a hat and get a blindfolded choir boy to pick one out.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Are we talking about Obama/Romney or Jimmy Saville/Gary Glitter?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I see the BBC has wasted no time in spending licence payers dosh by sending over not one, but two high profile 'newreaders'. Sopel and the Welsh bloke.
    Still, I suppose it detracts from the Savile fiasco.
  11. Is anyone aware that there are other candidates standing in this election? You wouldn't know if you were to just watch the TV news : linky