ejection seat stories

Old_Hand said:
Two stories I heard dueing my service time. 1. Air Day at Yeovilton - Following air display Harrier taxis onto apron and stops. Pilot opens canopy and starts to get out by standing on seat, stops and waves to the crowd, contiues to get out and pulls the seat handle with his foot. Reports were that he was deceased by the time he started to come down again.
Was at Heron during that time, crowd thought it was all part of the display and could he do it again. Think it was the same year a Star fighter (widow maker) went down as well, or was that every year....

when we were in KH, the wife flew out and we went to Bangkock, the Phuket. That was around that time, tried to find an old passport for the dates but cant find it. Probably back in th UK.

My prob is, WHY the f**k cant I remember it!?

chieftiff

War Hero
cornishgolfer said:
when we were in KH, the wife flew out and we went to Bangkock, the Phuket. That was around that time, tried to find an old passport for the dates but cant find it. Probably back in th UK.

Probably destroyed those brain cells celebrating with the wife in Phuket :dwarf:

raymas

On the subject of Drogue guns firing just before christmas leave either 61 or 62 a drogue went off through a naval airmans head as they were disabling them for leave. This was at Lossiemouth he was rushed to Aberdeen hospital. The whole ships company had to go to the hanger to see the "bloody Drogue" as a lesson.

chieftiff said:
cornishgolfer said:

Probably destroyed those brain cells celebrating with the wife in Phuket :dwarf:
mmmmmmm, when we went down for Breakfast after the first night, a scabby looking young git and a very white woman was with him, he sort of looked familiar ish. He was a scribe with one of the sqdrns. All the way to effing fucket and some bastard roles up at the same hotel a coupla thou miles from Invince .............

avoiding_action

Lantern Swinger
Around 2000 I was working in the tower at VL when an FA2 was delivered from Dunsfold (i think) after a major overhaul. The pilots liked to play a popular game and see if he could land smack bang on the beginning of the piano keys. Unfortunately he landed short on 27 burst his main tyres which Fodded the engine which exploded as he roled down the Runway. About half way down he veered right and was hurtling straight at the tower and 847 dispersal with cabs burning and turning! Luckily he hit the SAR box by 702's line which took off his nose wheel, dug the nose in and slowed him down. He went straight past a very startled Met Wren taking Obs by the Stevenson screen, past the ATC smoking shack (to their surprise), narrowly missed a Booty Lynx before coming to rest on 847's pan. A big whoosh and up it went in flames! With ATC shouting down the radio to eject he obviously felt it was time to leave and pulled the yellow and black. Coming down next to the flames 2 Royal's dragged him (with a broken ankle) clear of the flames and the Chockheads but it out! I dont think the Met wren ever took obs again after that....................

In the late 80s whilst stationed at Scampton, the Dead Sparrows were a regular source of entertainment. There was one of them who was in the habbit of retracting the gear and flaps immediately after take off, he also then selected airbrake out (SOP for the Sparrows) this all went well until one day our hero was just a shade too fast. The scene was as follows, our hero was about number 3 in a 10 ship, as usual the moment he has about half an inch of air under his wheels he whipped them up, and the flaps and out with the air brakes. Unfortunately there was also the 200 gallon dieso tank under the belly (for the smoke) add to that the fact that the airbrake is also on the underside and that our hero got into the downdraft of the man in front. At least the Martin Baker let down went well. The jet ended up on the grass facing the runway, from the tower it looked as if it was at the holding point waiting for take off. The dieso tank had burst and as it was full of blue diesel the port side of the jet was dark blue and the stbd side still bright red (like the pilot's face). Shortly after wards the pilot was posted to some distant place. The black box revealed that within the space of 0.4 seconds he had lifted off, retracted the gear and the flaps and selected airbrake out. Like I said he was just a bit too fast.

Crabman said:
In the late 80s whilst stationed at Scampton, the Dead Sparrows were a regular source of entertainment. There was one of them who was in the habbit of retracting the gear and flaps immediately after take off, he also then selected airbrake out (SOP for the Sparrows) this all went well until one day our hero was just a shade too fast. The scene was as follows, our hero was about number 3 in a 10 ship, as usual the moment he has about half an inch of air under his wheels he whipped them up, and the flaps and out with the air brakes. Unfortunately there was also the 200 gallon dieso tank under the belly (for the smoke) add to that the fact that the airbrake is also on the underside and that our hero got into the downdraft of the man in front. At least the Martin Baker let down went well. The jet ended up on the grass facing the runway, from the tower it looked as if it was at the holding point waiting for take off. The dieso tank had burst and as it was full of blue diesel the port side of the jet was dark blue and the stbd side still bright red (like the pilot's face). Shortly after wards the pilot was posted to some distant place. The black box revealed that within the space of 0.4 seconds he had lifted off, retracted the gear and the flaps and selected airbrake out. Like I said he was just a bit too fast.
How long after did his promotion come thru?

Just a thought!

avoiding_action said:
Around 2000 I was working in the tower at VL when an FA2 was delivered from Dunsfold (i think) after a major overhaul. The pilots liked to play a popular game and see if he could land smack bang on the beginning of the piano keys. Unfortunately he landed short on 27 burst his main tyres which Fodded the engine which exploded as he roled down the Runway. About half way down he veered right and was hurtling straight at the tower and 847 dispersal with cabs burning and turning! Luckily he hit the SAR box by 702's line which took off his nose wheel, dug the nose in and slowed him down. He went straight past a very startled Met Wren taking Obs by the Stevenson screen, past the ATC smoking shack (to their surprise), narrowly missed a Booty Lynx before coming to rest on 847's pan. A big whoosh and up it went in flames! With ATC shouting down the radio to eject he obviously felt it was time to leave and pulled the yellow and black. Coming down next to the flames 2 Royal's dragged him (with a broken ankle) clear of the flames and the Chockheads but it out! I dont think the Met wren ever took obs again after that....................
was working at VL AMG waiting for that cab to be delivered to us. watching from the hangar we all thought whoppee early chops for the weekend coming.

wont mention pilots name but he was responsible for dropping more harriers than the argies

Heli

Midshipman
wardmaster said:
Just to bring a lighter note to this thread, I recall a great cartoon by Tugg showing young pilots chatting in the wardroom, not knowing that Cdr (A) was listening. Says one young pilot "Bangout? It's just like Cdr (A)'s rpc; not many there and over in a flash"
I've got that one, autographed by Tugg :thumright:

GashHand

Midshipman
I was Killick in-charge of the line on 848 when that Harrier came down. We were some distance from it, but, i swear it was coming straight for me!

GH

granville

Banned
PTF Phantom suffered major engine fire during take off roll at Leuchars. The crew had presence of mind to cancel re-heat, shut off fuel cocks, lower the arrestor hook , then eject. The aircraft took the RHAG - Cat 5 of course, but very stylish. As a KERRABBB!!! what appeals to me about this one is the successful ejection, from a Navy aircraft, by an RAF Aircrew.

fido

MIA
Worst ever (for me) - HMS VICTORIOUS mid 60's. CPO(O) RAYNER and LAM(O) Bogie KNIGHT killed in hangar when Sea Vixen seat fired when under maintenance.

fido

MIA
avoiding_action said:
That was Lt (who had recently PVR'd) Peter 'Whizzer' Wilson who had taken up a job with BAE and was keen to show off to his erstwhile contemporaries in 899 NAS. What a w***ker!

scouse

War Hero
fido said:
Worst ever (for me) - HMS VICTORIOUS mid 60's. CPO(O) RAYNER and LAM(O) Bogie KNIGHT killed in hangar when Sea Vixen seat fired when under maintenance.
which commission did that tragic accident happen?

scouse

War Hero
fido said:
Found the date for you 64/65 Commission Wednesday 8th Sept 1965 Hms Victorious :salut: also have their Official Numbers as well. If you would like? PM me

Scouse_Scribes

Lantern Swinger
Invincbile 94-95 Adriatic trip I was the killick scribe on 814, standing having a brew in one of the port boat bays when a SHAR came into land, he was in the hover, when he began to roll back and forth to port and starboard. The pilot decided to leave and luckily timed the ejection so he missed the side of the ship and went right over the flight deck into the sea on the starboard side.

The SHAR flipped onto its back and promptly sank. When they recovered it they reckoned the engine had been fodded by a sheared bolt from the air intake.

Cue one wet, hacked off Lt Cdr alighting from a Spanish helicopter.

Cue also one unhappy Killick scribe Si Mead on the SHAR sqdn having to begin the labourious process of filling out the A25, which made it all the more sweat for me cos he had been laughing at me the week before cos I had to do one, when one of 814's pilots tried to land a Seaking without wheels at Bari Airport, but thats another dit

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scouse An amazing R/T conversation from a Lightening Ejection The Fleet Air Arm 21
scouse Through cannopy ejection on Buccaneer The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS UK’s independent seat at WTO to include Channel Islands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trade Secretary lays groundwork for independent seat at WTO MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Green light for dashboards in 2019 puts pension savers in the driving seat MoD News 0
soleil Pompey News: "Simulator Puts Pilots Into The Flying Seat For Fighter Jet Training" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil BFBS: "Ejector Seat Test For Next Generation Fighter Bomber" The Fleet Air Arm 2
sgtpepperband How to deal with irritating seat mates... The Internet - Best and Worst 4
slim Legal action over plane seat lost Diamond Lil's 8
slim Kelly accused of 'chicken run' to safe seat Current Affairs 7
MoD_RSS Mental health - our employees' stories MoD News 0
P Enlighten a soon to be Sailor with your wildest stories from runs ashore! The Quarterdeck 17
MoD_RSS News story: The race is on! Showcase your success stories at the National Apprenticeship Awards 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British success stories Wallace & Gromit and Peaky Blinders to feature in next generation entertainment experiences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Women peacebuilders tell their stories to mark International Women’s Day 2019 MoD News 0
janner U 1206 and other U Boat stories. Submariners 4
MoD_RSS News story: X-Forces strengthens Covenant commitment to create more business success stories MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Cooks, chefs, food arrangers stories! Diamond Lil's 18
A WW1 & WW2 (Navy stories) ebooks on a budget for 'Young Adults'. The Book Club 0
scouse Some Funny ATC stories,also A700 sign ups lol The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Scilly Today: "Navy Looking For Stories From People Rescued By Culdrose Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil "National Museum Of The RN Launches Appeal For Lost Stories From RN Colonial Forces" History 0
Rigsby Snow Stories Travel & The Great Outdoors 13
Blackrat Sexual Deviance & Other Stories Diamond Lil's 25
T Submariners' stories. Submariners 50
T Stories From Basic Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
soleil Pompey News: "Submariners Wanted By Gosport Museum To Share Their War Stories" Submariners 0
T Green Rub stories. Submariners 1
P Portsmouth News wants to hear your HMS Ark Royal stories Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil Mail: "Bravery Beyond Belief: Stories Behind The VC And GC" Current Affairs 1
Seaweed War Stories History 18
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Irrelevant or Irreverent News Stories The Gash Barge 9
soleil Imperial War Museum North: "Stories of War at Sea" Current Affairs 5
Blackrat Sex Walts & Other Stories Diamond Lil's 30
BillyNoMates The Big Stories. Diamond Lil's 2
Hitback Stories from the Past Current Affairs 3
L New Sky TV Series - Tell us your stories Nearest & Dearest 5
scouse Dishonorable Discharge and SNLR stories please The Gash Barge 27
A Sick jokes and initiation stories Diamond Lil's 28
scouse Stories of visiting aircraft with Armed Guards The Fleet Air Arm 5
P forces gone mad - Please send us your funny stories The Quarterdeck 0
P Please help - We need your stories. Charity 0
Niner_Domestic Canada in the news and stories of our own Andy McNabb International 10
L Sea Stories The Gash Barge 14
golden_rivet more sedate than the stories on here - but good fun! Diamond Lil's 0
chockhead819 2 stories in the tabloids Current Affairs 0
H True ER Stories....and you thought you were having a bad day Diamond Lil's 9
alhucoll Stories fiasco hurt Navy, chief admits Current Affairs 18
Shakey Poll - Should they have sold their stories? Diamond Lil's 51
Handler Tales and stories! Blogs 0